Changes at Thornberry animal rescue?

I was talking to a fellow dog walker yesterday who told me some very worrying things about Thornberry, I was told that there is a new manager there and around 9 members of staff made redundant :o

Thornberry has been a brilliant sanctuary for many years, and had more than its fair share of problems, I do hope that this is not going to be the end of it all.

Does anyone know what is happening?

Is that recent news or historical?

This is very worrying.

I've noticed they have changed their website, although I don't know much about them, I've only recently heard of them

Yes I have heard that they are making around 1/3rd of their staff redundant so that will probably be around 9 people going then.

I know that rescues will be folding soon and wonder what is going to happen in the years to come when there aren't any. So few people can commit to volunteering regularly because they are having to work such long hours at work or provide child care.

I know Thornberry, like ourselves and so many other rescues, suffer due to lack of good volunteers. People that can and will actually commit to doing a role when it needs doing - which is why you have to pay staff - but raising funds to pay staff is very hard. Volunteers don't turn up at 8.00 every day to clean kennels, walk dogs and feed all the animals every day - only paid staff do that - apart from the very odd few people I have to say.

I hadn't heard that they had employed a Manager though. Lets hope its a restructure and that they as a Sanctuary will pull through because I know that ours is much smaller and is a massive struggle to keep going every single day.

No he is not a manager just an advisor to the committe a retired buisness man

If you go to the The Charity Commission website & go to the 'find a charity' option you can access the accounts submitted by registered charities. I'd advise anyone to study them if you are interested. It can be quite an eye opener. I dont think people are aware of the critical financial state charities are in at the moment. The outgoing costs for most far outweigh what is incoming. Charities used to to be able to rely on legacies to cover the massive overspends they face each year. But the legacies are few & far between now and the deficits each year keep increasing. Fundraising helps but it is never enough. So more has to be used from money held in their reserves. More money out of the reserves is not good. Biggest expenditure is always staff, vets, daily running costs & upkeep of premises. Staff wages at Thornberry was coming out at over 250 grand a year. (around 26 members of staff I think it said) It was always going to be first in line for a shake up. Hopefully they can find more volunteers to help so they can continue to do the good work they do.

Edited by spats
spelling!

Updated posting

Edited by billicasper

On their submitted accounts report, they mention the increasing costs of dealing with items donated that are unsuitable for selling. Does anyone know if Thornberry have a recycling firm that they deal with to help dispose of unwanted recyclables? I have had very good experience with one particular recycling firm that paid for & collected unwanted textiles, books, metals, plastics, small electricals, cardboard etc. Got very good rates because it was for an Animal Charity (& the Boss who ran it & set the rates liked animals:D)

Can pm me if anyone wants the details.

Updated posting

Edited by billicasper

Last time I know they spent VAST amounts of money on skips and waste disposal of unwanted items or items they didnt have space to store.

Its a shame as well because alot what I saw was good stuff... The shops/stalls their were over priced and IF they'd sell things cheaper theyd move the stock quicker, and so avoiding HUGE skips and storage problems...

For some reason they cant understand this simple business rule

Such a shame, surely its better to sell it cheaper and let it move faster than throwing stuff away :confused: it does sound like they need help to make the most of their resources.