Are we being softened up for a congestion charge?

Didn't you read this? From the thread on the ice cream vans, posted 2 days ago :

As the chair of Sheffield Council Licensing Committee, I may be the "horse's mouth" you are referring to!

Permit me to put this into perspective.

Last November, the Licensing Committee (which comprises Labour, Lib Dem and Green councillors) received a report on street trading. In an attempt to improve both vehicle standards and emissions it was agreed that an age restriction of 5 years on vehicles would be imposed.

No ice cream traders had responded to the council's consultation document. But nearly two weeks ago now, an ice cream trader from Walkley came to a committee meeting to appeal against the new policy. The gentleman provided a sound and sensible case to allow him to continue trading with his existing vehicle (which is over 20 years of age) and his application was granted.

In the process of granting the application, we immediately suspended the new policy and asked officers to review the vehicle emissions issue again. As a council, we do, by law, have to meet certain standards of emissions as adopted by the government - as RosyRat has been explaining.

But it is now obvious that the policy we adopted isn't suitable, and so we've scrapped it. A new consultation on different ideas on how to meet the goverment's emissions policy will now take place with street traders. It is to be hoped that the ice cream traders will, this next time round, give us their views!

I think the reason being it was scrapped was hecause you realised damm quickly that it was illegal due to vehicles passing emission tests as part of the mot, quite a basic thing really, but thats what you get for listening to non elected people instead of common sence, tho knowing this councils crazy decisions im. not shocked!!

I think the reason being it was scrapped was hecause you realised damm quickly that it was illegal due to vehicles passing emission tests as part of the mot, quite a basic thing really, but thats what you get for listening to non elected people instead of common sence, tho knowing this councils crazy decisions im. not shocked!!

Dawny, what are you on about? Why have you written "hecause you realised damm quickly", by which I suppose you mean that you think I was part of the decision? I'm not a councillor! This decision was nothing to do with me. All I did was contact the Council, like you could have done, to get the correct information.

I really don't care what you think about the decision, but I do object to you having a go at me personally. I suppose that's what comes of finding out the facts and posting them on here.

You obviously aren't interested in finding out the truth about things - you just want to have a pop at the Council at every opportunity. And it gets boring.

Didn't you read this? From the thread on the ice cream vans, posted 2 days ago :

As the chair of Sheffield Council Licensing Committee, I may be the "horse's mouth" you are referring to!

Last November, the Licensing Committee (which comprises Labour, Lib Dem and Green councillors) received a report on street trading. In an attempt to improve both vehicle standards and emissions it was agreed that an age restriction of 5 years on vehicles would be imposed.

No ice cream traders had responded to the council's consultation document. But nearly two weeks ago now, an ice cream trader from Walkley came to a committee meeting to appeal against the new policy. The gentleman provided a sound and sensible case to allow him to continue trading with his existing vehicle (which is over 20 years of age) and his application was granted.

In the process of granting the application, we immediately suspended the new policy and asked officers to review the vehicle emissions issue again. As a council, we do, by law, have to meet certain standards of emissions as adopted by the government - as RosyRat has been explaining.

But it is now obvious that the policy we adopted isn't suitable, and so we've scrapped it. A new consultation on different ideas on how to meet the goverment's emissions policy will now take place with street traders. It is to be hoped that the ice cream traders will, this next time round, give us their views!

Did they have nothing better to discuss, like improving Sheffield, or was it a case of not being able to claim expenses on ice creams.

Great idea we stop the chavs and poor from blocking the roads,less goods stolen from shops, cex,cash converters etc can move out of town and we can have more decent shops

Dawny, what are you on about? Why have you written "hecause you realised damm quickly", by which I suppose you mean that you think I was part of the decision? I'm not a councillor! This decision was nothing to do with me. All I did was contact the Council, like you could have done, to get the correct information.

I really don't care what you think about the decision, but I do object to you having a go at me personally. I suppose that's what comes of finding out the facts and posting them on here.

You obviously aren't interested in finding out the truth about things - you just want to have a pop at the Council at every opportunity. And it gets boring.

Calm down dear, it's easy to see why the confusion occurred, I also had to read a couple of times to come to the conclusion you were quoting someone else. (It helps if you insert quotation marks, you being a teacher I would have thought you would have known this........or perhaps not):D

I can see you studied Science. :hihi: You don't have to be a brain surgeon to look reports up on various issues. Ask them to validate the source of their data.

I dont need to. You dont have to be a brain surgeon to see it's impossible to calculate a cost to an economy of pollution levels in the air. There's too many variables. Well maybe not impossible- if the pollution was so bad it shut the whole economy down I suppose its cost would be the whole value of the economy.

I've contacted Scott in a number of diferent ways, asking him for the reference source for the data he referred to.

He seems a little reticent to respond.

I leave you to draw your own conclusions.

I've contacted Scott in a number of diferent ways, asking him for the reference source for the data he referred to.

How very surprising!!:suspect:

Why can our council not just get on with delivering services instead of interfering and restricting peoples lives. Vehicles already undergo an emmissions check every year. Another waste of council money, yet they claim to be skint.

---------- Post added 25-04-2013 at 12:41 ----------

Next step FOI request?

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/

I got a ticket last night for parking in taxi bay on west street but on my parking ticket it states my car as being a silver taxi but it's neither silver nor a taxi. I know it's a bit off topic but any advise will be appreciated, thanks.

I got a ticket last night for parking in taxi bay on west street but on my parking ticket it states my car as being a silver taxi but it's neither silver nor a taxi. I know it's a bit off topic but any advise will be appreciated, thanks.

:banana::banana::banana::banana: hahahaha