Artex, would it put you off?

so as not to worry the op to much I think it is also far to say that there has been and still are many other brands on the market other than the brand Artex its self that never contained Asbestos.

Yes the 80's artex had asbestos in it and you may get the valuer make a note of this when he comes to survey.

Get it skimmed over plasterers are tripping over themselves for business at the moment so wont cost much.

Besides it will look fresh and appealing.

Are they, every decent spread I know are all doing fine, as for it not costing much skimming over an artex staircase is not a 'cheap' job and if not prepped properly and done well will look $hite if we're being honest.

Evry fly-by tradesmen will go in cheap, rush the job and scarper, and usually be available immediately.

No disrespect retired, just don't like seeing the trade I do being dragged through the mud.

Thank you for all your imput folks. I've had 3 estate agents round to value, and their opinion is divided on whether to skim or not. We had one of the bedrooms done about 5 years ago, and there was never any mention of the asbestos word, so I don't regard that as an issue. The issue is how much you should do to a house you are selling. I'm in favour of skimming it because I think a lot of FTB would be put off by the mess it entails. My daughter doesn't want to spend a fortune on preparing the house for sale, both of us have been amazed at how much the estate agents fees are, hence the great debate! I wonder if any plasterers are looking for a solid terraced house for £79K -it has got off street parking for their van and lots of opportunity to practice their skilll! Thanks again everyone.

Are they, every decent spread I know are all doing fine, as for it not costing much skimming over an artex staircase is not a 'cheap' job and if not prepped properly and done well will look $hite if we're being honest.

Evry fly-by tradesmen will go in cheap, rush the job and scarper, and usually be available immediately.

No disrespect retired, just don't like seeing the trade I do being dragged through the mud.

There are many decent plasterers and other wet trades that are professional and take pride. These tradesmen are always booked up and in the main season busy and charge a tradesman rate. They will always do well.

Then there are the 'others' that spoil the trade by being cheap. Put a thread on SF in job vacancies and the cheap ones are there offering work at prices which after you have broken down the price and deducted the costs of a van if they have one and insurances, equipment and days when they can't work then they are actually working below minimum wage. There are always customers of course who will take a chance on price and then grumble afterwards.

So yes, put a thread on SF forum for a cheap plasterer or bricky, gardener and there will be replies offering themselves cheap but lets ask ourselves? why are they immediately available and cheap?

I have no time for them. Tradesmen working for me with their own van and equipment get paid £120 a day. Any less and I am not interested. Now the £120 a day boys need to be able to earn it but any cheaper and they are bringing the trade down for everyone else.

There's no way in the world that we would have been able to afford our current house if it wasn't for Artex! Pretty much every room (it's 4 large bedrooms) was covered in the stuff, along with a few other horrific but mainly cosmetic interior features (fake Tudor beams plus red strip lighting, anyone...?).

It had been on the market for around a year and the price had dropped a huge amount as so many potential buyers had been put off. We could see past it and paid to have most of it skimmed before we moved in, and now it's (almost) as good as new! Thank God for 80s interior design....

OP - How much are EA's charging now. When I moved 2 1/2 years ago I think Blundells were 1.75% plus some advertising fees of about £250.

I thought that was ok.

Just been having a email chat with a friend in Sweden who is selling her Mothers flat, their fees and charges make our look very small.

ie. 5% fees, 22% tax on profit made on property even if its your main residence, typically £400-500 service charge PER MONTH on 2 bed apartments....

However this is offset by a fairley low price for apartments typically £55k for a 2 bed in an average area.

No, leave it as it is. If you sell a house with fresh paint and wallpaper, a prospective buyer might think it is a cover-up job.

How would they know its covering anything?

How does any buyer know what under the plaster/wallpaper?

I would look at a plain wall freshly painted and think I can paint it how I want and thats it.