Anyone go to the EITB training centre on Petre St

Greetings all!

I was "fortunate" to attend the EITB from 1979 to 1980 as one of the Shardlow's chosen few! I remember the Stores bloke - Kabooby - trying to rip Andy Christlowes head off once! Laugh, we nearly did! Remember Harry Methley trying to encourage us to turn things correctly & the choice phrases he offered to the less fortunate attempts we made! Anyone know if Mr Hancock turned pro with his Table Tennis? Also remember Mr Swift on the Gas Welding, Mr Briggs & his 70's rock-group reject mate (his name escapes me) on Bench Fitting, Mr Batty & the convenient lifts he offered, Mr Parker who taught us the real value of a Milling machine & his friend the large but friendly Caber-tosser whose name escapes me also! Not to mention the Great Mr Cauthen who was very fond of telling those who found there feet too soon that "Only Abo's Walkabout"! Great fun to have been there, even better when we left! :hihi:

Edited by TBTDrill758

I was there 79-80 and knew a lot of the Shardlows lads, which one was you. Remeber 2 of them, Stuart Limb and Duncan Waring having a fight on the field next door.

Chris (aka Grizzly)

Edited by Beamish

I was/am Andy Rodgers (234 EITB/758 SHARDLOWS) the poor sod who got lumped with Bob Beal most of the time! Stuart Limb (or Number One as he became - due to the fact he knew everything) ended up on the management side & started a notable list of monumental cockups, leading to his 'encouraged' departure! It was Stuart Waring, not Duncan, whos elder brother Nigel worked in the Drawing Office & later sucked up to a higher position, still unable to achieve anything practical! I still remember Kabooby (stores) trying to rip of Andrew Christlowe's head & leaving him with a neck cast for a few weeks! "Grizzly" rings a bell but I can't put a face to it! Hope this finds you well & all is OK with you & yours!

Andy Rodgers

Hi Andy. Unfortunately your name doesn't ring a bell you were probably in a different 'coloured-hat' group. I still bump into Wayne Latham occasionally and remember the names Marsland (think there were two of those) and Platts. I'm sure there was a something Duncan or Duncan something though. The name Safir Bashir just popped into my head as well.

Hope all is good with you.

Chris (aka Grizzly)

I (Richard Edwards) worked at the EITB in 1988 (April-October) teaching ICT with Phil Blagg.

On ‎21‎/‎07‎/‎2013 at 19:06, TBTDrill758 said:

Greetings all!

I was "fortunate" to attend the EITB from 1979 to 1980 as one of the Shardlow's chosen few! I remember the Stores bloke - Kabooby - trying to rip Andy Christlowes head off once! Laugh, we nearly did! Remember Harry Methley trying to encourage us to turn things correctly & the choice phrases he offered to the less fortunate attempts we made! Anyone know if Mr Hancock turned pro with his Table Tennis? Also remember Mr Swift on the Gas Welding, Mr Briggs & his 70's rock-group reject mate (his name escapes me) on Bench Fitting, Mr Batty & the convenient lifts he offered, Mr Parker who taught us the real value of a Milling machine & his friend the large but friendly Caber-tosser whose name escapes me also! Not to mention the Great Mr Cauthen who was very fond of telling those who found there feet too soon that "Only Abo's Walkabout"! Great fun to have been there, even better when we left! :hihi:

Kabooby camel, l remember him.....l believe l made him cry one day..... he tried to bully the smaller kids and used to sling the micrometres etc across the desk. Mr Cawthorne had the Rocker looks.... I was there in 78 - 79 with Pete Carter, Nick Slater, Dave Carson, Craig Wathall, Big Roger with the red hair.... we used to spend all my time in the Inspectors office for pranks !

Did you go to the EITB training centre on Petre Street 1970 - 1971? I was an electrical apprentice and remember the instructors in the electrical section Mr John King and Mr Harry Armitage in particular. The lads I recall the most were Adrian Parkinson, Ron Hague, Richard Marshall, Clive Hawkins, Steve Hodgson and Alan Rollit.

i was there in 1980 to 1981

best training ever - John Davidson - what a guy - deep respect for him

David Finch - they are the two that i will always remember

so funny at times - but great instructors

Hi, my name is Chris Brewerton and worked in EITB Estates Dept under Tom Wheeler based at their HQ  in Clarendon Road Watford.

I joined in 1984 and was immediately launched into the management of the fabric of the Petre Street foundry. I seem to remember we had a few issues with leaking roofs and problems with the concrete piers which supported the long rear side of the building because it was built overhanging the edge of scarp slope. The manager was a Mr Shaw (Alex?). I remember putting a new floor into the mess room.   Anybody know  when EITB pulled out of Petre Street????

I was there 70 to 71. There was a notable instructor on the fitting section called Chambers. Think his favourite expression was "You Scaly Git"! I stupidly got into a fight when on his section with a guy called Robin who had stamped on my carefully crafted vice clamps. Learnt a lot from those days and still use the toolbox and tools we made. The last time was using the bearing extractor on the windscreen wipers:-). Happy days, and a good foundation for years of DIY!