1st time angler

not been fishing for 30 years and grandson wants to go fishing, can anyone recomend a cheap way to start him up. he might like it and if he does will buy him some good tackle but knowing what hes like i could spend a packet and he never goes again. also somewhere to go thats good for beginers:help:

If you go to Monday market in town on Exchange st there is a guy called Chris who sells decent tackle cheap or he is at Oldcotes car boot sale on a Sunday. You'd be better getting him a pole to start with, easier to handle and saves you buying a reel. Other than that there's fishing republic on stoke street or Decathlon at bottom of Moor opposite side of dual carriageway to Staples. Depending what area you live in for best ponds as rivers and canals have closed season right now

Edited by denlin

Buy him a cheapish pole and a few ready made rigs and a pint of maggots and then take him to somewhere he will catch , like pond number 5 at kjs(it's actually at Aston fisheries but kjs own it), he will be hooked...

Would keep away from market to be fair especially as a novice, i remember a few years ago he tried selling me a pole with an rrp of 149 for 200quid cos he thought i was a young novice he could have me round corner, and seen it happen a few other times aswell. But he must do alright as he has been going for years!!

If i was you i would buy a 5 metre elasticated whip for around a tenner with a couple of ready made rigs and take him upto somewhere like aston ponds on the lanta pond where he will have plenty of bites.

Edited by spankysufc

decathlon have cheap poles also them home bargin places are good for a start at the min.. other day on the wybourne one they had microscopic rod and free runner real 13 quid spot on ... i bought a budget reel few month back 35 quid ish n its crap the one in home bargins looks ten times better than the one i got.. im new to fishing myself and that pole thing not for me, unless you have all tackle pole rests n stuff.. get a rod walk about ..lol

If you go to Monday market in town on Exchange st there is a guy called Chris who sells decent tackle cheap or he is at Oldcotes car boot sale on a Sunday. You'd be better getting him a pole to start with, easier to handle and saves you buying a reel. Other than that there's fishing republic on stoke street or Decathlon at bottom of Moor opposite side of dual carriageway to Staples. Depending what area you live in for best ponds as rivers and canals have closed season right now

There isn't a closed season on the canals around here ;)

As advised, stay away from the guy on the market - it's mostly tat on there anyway from what I've seen.

Have a look on Dragon Carp website and you'll be able to pick up some dirt cheap gear. It won't be anything special but will probably do you a job.

Edited by MrSkinner

:hihi::hihi::hihi: Dragon carp and you think Chris is rubbish

That guy at market knows nowt about fishing, tried telling me a avanti rod was worth £150, think there someone on here selling a cheap whip, be perfect to start off with

:hihi::hihi::hihi: Dragon carp and you think Chris is rubbish

The market stall is overpriced tat, at least DC is tat at tat prices!

I asked a mate that goes car booting to see if he could find a cheap 4mtr whip for a nephew who was tormenting me to take him.

He got me a 5mtr for £4, I thought it would be ok for him to try out & see if fishing was for him. We went to Side Farm with half a pint of casters for a couple of hours, top & bottom of the tale is that the no1 broke on the first fish a massive Ide of 6oz, I telescoped the no1 it broke again on a similar stamp.

The bloke at Oldcotes said he can't be blamed if people don't know how to use tackle.

By the way I also have 8 blind disgorges from the same Chris, the end to engage the hook is solid ( no slot ). I don't ask my mate to find me anything else.

Buy a new 3 or 4 mtr whip from a tackle shop around a fiver.

proper tat mate what he sells but he must make a decent living because he is there week in week out,

regarding tackle companies like dragon and avanti its about sorting the wheat from the chaff and some real bargains can be had, my old box was a trabucco xps f1 competition and had a pricetag of nearly £400, avanti made an IDENTICAL box and sold it for £200, they also have just brought a replica of the preston space station out and havent heard a bad word about them.

some of their rods are supposed to be good value for money aswell.

i have owned a number of their accesories like a pole sock and some other small items and have never had problems.

not been fishing for 30 years and grandson wants to go fishing, can anyone recomend a cheap way to start him up. he might like it and if he does will buy him some good tackle but knowing what hes like i could spend a packet and he never goes again. also somewhere to go thats good for beginers:help:

Sent you a PM