Hyde Park Cricket Ground

Does anyone know exactly where the Hyde Park cricket ground was in Sheffield?

A number of important games were played there in the nineteenth century.

I believe that it later became a greyhound track, and was eventually used for housing. What I can't find is details of the names of the roads that were built on the old ground.

Hi Ecclesfield1 - I'm not familiar with the area, but this 1950s map shows a greyhound track and a cricket ground in different locations. An 1890s map shows the "Hyde Park Volunteer Ground" in the same location as the greyhound track.

I seem to remember the dog track being on the right hand side of manor oaks road,coming up from duke street.

obviously you cant but if you were to walk up by st johns church towards the hyde park flats you would carry on up and the cricket ground was about 600 yards after the church over the top of the old manor oaks road..

Hi Ecclesfield1 - I'm not familiar with the area, but this 1950s map shows a greyhound track and a cricket ground in different locations. An 1890s map shows the "Hyde Park Volunteer Ground" in the same location as the greyhound track.

The maps you've shown here - are these online somewhere, or are these your personal collection - it'd be very interesting to look through some of these older maps to see when roads appeared or disappeared, fascinating to see areas we take for granted in 2013 not even on the map in 1890 or even 1950! :)

I remember the place well, though from memory it was between the flats and the vicarage on MOR. :huh:

The 'Volunteer Ground" from 1891 is labelled "Hyde Park Cricket Ground" on the 1853 map at http://www.old-maps.co.uk/ (co-ordinates 436524 387527)

Hugh

I was wondering if this map had Hague lane on iit, I'm pretty sure it was in the area between South St and Duke St,been looking for it along time.

Does anyone know exactly where the Hyde Park cricket ground was in Sheffield?

A number of important games were played there in the nineteenth century.

I believe that it later became a greyhound track, and was eventually used for housing. What I can't find is details of the names of the roads that were built on the old ground.

Hi,

I'll stick my neck out and suggest the place you looking for is in fact the Hyde Park Volunteers Ground shown on the 1890 map.

The cricket ground shown on the 1950 map belonged to the Exchange Sports Club. I haven’t watched cricket on that particular field since 1951 so don’t know what has happened to the club or even if it still exists.

Regards

---------- Post added 28-04-2013 at 15:49 ----------

I was wondering if this map had Hague lane on iit, I'm pretty sure it was in the area between South St and Duke St,been looking for it along time.

Hi,

I also thought Hague Lane was somewhere down the bottom end of the (Old) Park district but it wasn't.

White's Directory (c1901) give its location as running between Talbot Street and Norwich Street. Therefore it must have been parallel to Duke's Street but disappeared when the Park Hill Flats were built over it.

Regards

---------- Post added 28-04-2013 at 15:50 ----------

---------- Post added 28-04-2013 at 17:09 ----------

Hello hillsbro,

I was really interested in the 1890's map you posted. It started my old memory cells going for I have recollections of that particular area as a child (say mid 1940's -mid50s).

Of course the sports ground itself had long-since disappeared by then (the greyhound track had been built over part of it) but most of what I had been told were "military" buildings, were still around.

The 1890 map shows a long building on the site parallel to St Johns Road but this must have been extended at some time for my recollection is of the "L" shaped building shown on the 1950 map. As it was on a steeply sloping site, the main building was three storeys high at the lower (Cricket Inn Road) end while the rest was two-storeys high. The main part had a flat roof with, a parapet wall, topped with high railings. Obviously, the roof had been designed to be used but I'm not sure for what purpose. I had been told the chidlren of the miltiary personnel used to play up there but have no knoweldge if this is correct.

Here are two more pieces of family folk-lore that I can't confirm.

1 - On the (unadopted) access road from St Johns Road were a stand of four large well-built terraced houses. I had been told these were part of the military property and used by military families. Possibly junior officers or NCO's.

2 - During WWI, the buildings were used to house German POW's. 5/6 mornings a week, the prisoners would be marched from the St Johns Road site down to Attercliffe Common. Here they would work on the construction of what became the Metropolitan -Vickers electric motor works. In the evenings they would be march back to St Johns Road.

In my earliest personal recollection, the buildings belong to a company called Long Brothers. They used to make mens work clothes, most likely the fustian (corduroy) type. They had employed quite a few Park people at one time or another and had second works on the corner of Duke Street and Grafton Street. All a long time ago.

Regards

Edited by Falls

Hi Falls - glad the map is of interest. You may like to see this section of a Bacon's town plan showing "The Hallamshire Rifles Drill Ground" and the "Drill Hall". The map is undated, but the tram route to Banner Cross is shown, which dates it to after 1908. It is probably not much later than the First World War period. The directories I have from the 1920s to the early 1970s mention Long Brothers, a typical entry reading "Long Bros. overall & clothing manufacturers, Hyde Park Works, St John's Road, Park".

Hi Falls - glad the map is of interest. You may like to see this section of a Bacon's town plan showing "The Hallamshire Rifles Drill Ground" and the "Drill Hall". The map is undated, but the tram route to Banner Cross is shown, which dates it to after 1908. It is probably not much later than the First World War period. The directories I have from the 1920s to the early 1970s mention Long Brothers, a typical entry reading "Long Bros. overall & clothing manufacturers, Hyde Park Works, St John's Road, Park".

Hello,

Thanks for the map. It will take me a while to digest all the information but its got the old brain cells working already.

Regards

Edited by Falls

This is where the greyhound track was, i walked past it at least a thousand times whilst the flats where standing. It may have been elsewhere before my time but i can lay my life on the position i put it. Really puzzled as why no-one has pointed this out so clearly as there must have been thousands of people remember it who are still alive. :huh: