St Barnabas School, Cecil Road

I was a choir boy at St Barnabas during the war . Arthur Revill was the vicar and what a great bloke he was. I also was in the scouts at the same time before moving on to St Chads Abbey Lane

Yes I remember Mr. Revill. As you say he was a really good man.

My Grandparents lived in Batt St from 1913. My granfather, father and his brother sang with St Barnabas choir in the 1920s. They also played soccer with St Barnabas. I have numerous photographs of St Barnabas choir groups on choir trips. Some are dated 1926. I'd be interested to identify any of them.

Edited by only_me

Did anyone go to St Barnabas School, Cecil Road. was there from 1955

to 1961. Mr Nuttall was the headteacher and ther were just 3 teachers in the whole of the infant and junior schools. Mrs Jubb, Mrs Cuckson and Mrs Hill as far as I can remember. Happy days.

I went to the Alderson Road St Barnabus from 1953 to 1955. The head teacher was Miss Robertson. She always seemed to be wearing a greenish blue tartan suit

I went to St Barnabas on Cecil Rd. I left in 1958 when I was the only child in my year to pass the 11+. The head was Mr Nutting, but can`t remember any other teacher`s names. I used to be in charge of the tuck shop which was held in the head`s office with various chocolate bars laid out on 3 chairs.When my father died in 1954 I had to tell my teacher that I needed free school meals. I can still see the shock on her face as they had no idea my father had died.

The toilets were at the far end of the playground and you had to ask for toilet paper from the playground supervisor, you got 3 pieces, tough if you needed more. We played games like `the farmer takes a wife` (can`t remember the right name) and lots of ball games. Other children I recall were Geoffrey Horsepool, Gwendoline Cawthorne and Frances ....,we were the top 4 and always sat at the back of the room. I still have all my school reports

Got to go the delivery man is here with my new freezer![/QUOT

Hi Minimo, I see you are still on this forum ( June this year )

You refer in this post to Geoff Horsefield. Have you seen him in recent years or may be you have contact details for him. An old school pal of mine !

Slight mistake above. The name was Geoff Horsepool !

Edited by Runningman
Wrong name quoted

I went there from 1960  to 1965. My first teacher was Mrs. Smith and she was lovely, she always had a vase of roses on her desk , they smelled gorgeous, can remember that smell to this day. My dad made a stable and put a Nativity set in it, it was still there in 1972 when I went back to do work experience there.  I loved my time there, but had to leave as they were demolishing our houses on Bramall Lane.

I remember st Barnabas vividly, worse days of my life. The headmaster Mr Nutting was a nasty man, I can remember my fear of him , one time my brother and I were late my mum had had a terrible accident that morning at home .When we arrived at school late he sat behind his desk blowing cigarette smoke in our faces and didn't believe our reason for being late. We were two traumatized children  I was 8 my brother 5.

On 03/11/2023 at 11:43, Kelley 2 said:

I remember st Barnabas vividly, worse days of my life. The headmaster Mr Nutting was a nasty man, I can remember my fear of him , one time my brother and I were late my mum had had a terrible accident that morning at home .When we arrived at school late he sat behind his desk blowing cigarette smoke in our faces and didn't believe our reason for being late. We were two traumatized children  I was 8 my brother 5.

Hi, what year was that?  Its funny but some of us never forget how we were badly treated as kids at places like school.