St Barnabas School, Cecil Road

I dont know if Steve was his name. It might have been. I will have to ask Philip Britton as he was at St Barnabus for all the years form infant to end of Juniors.

The last time i saw this peg leg character was in crookes valley park, where he was fishing.

I'm sure there was a tall lad called Mathew Atkinson around the same period.

I also lived on the odd side of Mount Pleasant Rd. Number 53 to be precise.

I dont know if Steve was his name. It might have been. I will have to ask Philip Britton as he was at St Barnabus for all the years form infant to end of Juniors.

The last time i saw this peg leg character was in crookes valley park, where he was fishing.

I'm sure there was a tall lad called Mathew Atkinson around the same period.

I also lived on the odd side of Mount Pleasant Rd. Number 53 to be precise.

so were you in the Ducker's Yard? (I was at school with Graham and Andrea)

I'm a bit of a collector of old books. My husband has picked up a copy of the Bible for me, its binding is in very bad condition and is not worth anything but it has really beautiful illustrations.

Anyway, the reason I'm mentioning it on here is that in the front of the book there is presentation plate insterted. The book was given as a prize to '****(illegible) Williams as a prize from the Cecil Road Sunday School of St Barnabas' Church' by the vicar 'J St Leger Blakney' in December 1913.

All I've been able to find out was that St Barnabas was demolished in the '80s. But I'm really curious about the books origin. Does anyone on here remember St Barnabas' or the Sunday school? I'd be really interested to hear if anyone did.

I got married at St Barnabas Church, Highfields. The Shell of the original building still stands but I believe it was converted into apartments.

I got married at St Barnabas Church, Highfields. The Shell of the original building still stands but I believe it was converted into apartments.

Thanks sharrovian. If you don't mind me asking, how long ago was that and where can the shell be found?

I was married in Sept. 1960 but it was a long time after that that the church closed. The location is just off to the left (travelling from town) at the junction of London Rd. and Abbeydale Rd. ie Highfields.

It was within the last 20 years or so that St Barnabas church was turned into the OAP flats.

It was still in use as a church into the 1980s, (I went there as a kid) and externally it looks no different than when it was the church.

It was within the last 20 years or so that St Barnabas church was turned into the OAP flats.

It was still in use as a church into the 1980s, (I went there as a kid) and externally it looks no different than when it was the church.

I was interested to read about St Barnabas church. I remember we all attended there on Armistice day from Sharrow lane school in the 30's. One lad in my class was a choir boy there,and at school morning assembly, would sing a hymn. 'Oh for the wings of a dove' was a favourite.

When I was in the cubs in the 50's, we used to go Church parade at St. Barnabus. It seemed like a really big impressive place to me at the time. It was our local church and we had our cub meetings at Alderson Road school. You could get to St. Barnabus church through a little gennel which ran from the back of the school onto Kearsley Road.

Cecil Road school was on Cecil Road, which ran off Sitwell Road. It has now been demolished but I seem to remember seeing some photos of it on another thread on the Forum.

I was a choir boy at St Barnabas during the war . Arthur Revill was the vicar and what a great bloke he was. I also was in the scouts at the same time before moving on to St Chads Abbey Lane

http://www.friendsreunited.com/album.page/album?albumKey=385320&albumType=1&member_key=0&mediaKey=0&commentPage=0

Here is a picture of St Barnabas Cecil Road just before demolition. I seem to remember the school celebrated its centenary year in 1972 although i could be a year out.

I lived two streets away from this school, on Mount Pleasant Road. It's odd, I don't remember Cecil Road being at such an angle... I remember it as being much flatter than that! :o

I do remember it being a very dark, and "brooding" building, in a very blackened brick/ stone. I don't think it had a very large school yard.

that date would sound about right, Only Me... most Victorian schools were built in the 1870's under the schools act (IIRC< The Schools Act, 1872?)

I do remember the demolitions of the houses and the school, in about 1978. they demolished most of Horner Road, all of Cecil and Sherrington Roads, and Sitwell road. They demolished the first half of Mount Pleasant Road (on the evens side, from 2-40, approx) at that time, then in 1979, they demolished the other half of the even numbers on our street, and the odds where we lived.

They built the new Sharrow Infants school, on the site of the even-numbers, and Mount Pleasant Park across the rest of the land, up to where Horner Road and Herschell Road were.