Anyone from Sheffield now live in Dorset, Devon, Cornwall area?

Hi,

I do come back to Sheffield now and then, as I mentioned, but I find it difficult to find my way around the centre as it's changed so much. The people I met around that area weren't the same kind of people as live in my memory, that is also true but their lives seem so much busier so I forgive them. Perhaps distance lends the memory rose tinted glasses, do you think? I may not like the new centre but it did impress me. So much nicer and cleaner looking but without the heart perhaps. I have also to admit that I stayed at a B & B in Bakewell and the people there are absolutely lovely - except for the antique shop, it has to be said. LOL. Perhaps I didn't look rich enough for them.

Grannypat

I've lived in Lyme Regis, Beer and in Plymouth. I've delivered groceries in Branscombe and bread in Tavistock. Living in North Wales we have reasonable access to children and grandchildren. Next month we're having 4 nights in Beer and 4 nights in Lynton. I'm ok living here but look forward to our annual trip to the South West. I liked Sheffield 1955-65 but recently I wasn't impressed by the trams whizzing all over the centre of town. However, one must move with the times and I was able to get from Hillsborough to Meadowhall area quickly and easily on the tram which would have been a difficult journey 50 years ago.

I've lived in Lyme Regis, Beer and in Plymouth. I've delivered groceries in Branscombe and bread in Tavistock. Living in North Wales we have reasonable access to children and grandchildren. Next month we're having 4 nights in Beer and 4 nights in Lynton. I'm ok living here but look forward to our annual trip to the South West. I liked Sheffield 1955-65 but recently I wasn't impressed by the trams whizzing all over the centre of town. However, one must move with the times and I was able to get from Hillsborough to Meadowhall area quickly and easily on the tram which would have been a difficult journey 50 years ago.

I must admit one of the things I do miss about East Devon is having sunday breakfast at the caff on the beach at Beer.

Oh my yes. You must have tried their fresh crab sandwiches if you've been there. Wonderful.

Grannypat

Usually it was good fry up and the sunday paper, always hit n miss due to the weather, then into the anchor for a pint and pick some crab up from the fish seller on the ramp before going home!.

We stay at the Bay View Guest house in Beer which is convenient for everything. We, too get fish from the Beer Fish Shop, bag it and put it in the freezer when we get home. Tried a 9am mackerel fishing trip last year and caught 7.

37 years in Cornwall - left Sheffield in 1972 went to Norfolk then in 1976 down to Cornwall. Hated Norfolk but when we got to Cornwall there was a feeling of coming home. Rarely go back to Sheffield now - have brother near Wakefield. Its so hectic people pushing and barging about all carrying loads of bags - I am always amazed when we go to Meadowhall - if money is so short why do they buy so much stuff!! or more to the point how can they afford so much. If I go to Truro once a month I may not even buy anything - perhaps its contentment - I don't need to purchase material things to keep me happy.

I do agree the sense of humour is unique to Yorkshire and when I get together with my brother its great.

Edited by smary
typo

First left Sheffield in 61 to become a Service wife....lived in various places since. Plymouth which I hated, London, Singapore, Poole and Bournemouth. Returned to Sheffield on and off several times since to live but having now settled in Bournemouth, don't visit very often. Last time was 12 months ago to say my good-bye's to my brother before he passed away. I like to look on here to see what's happening up there these days but would never go back to live.

Another thing I always liked was the firework display on the beach at Lyme Regis, always a lovely evening.

37 years in Cornwall - left Sheffield in 1972 went to Norfolk then in 1976 down to Cornwall. Hated Norfolk but when we got to Cornwall there was a feeling of coming home. Rarely go back to Sheffield now - have brother near Wakefield. Its so hectic people pushing and barging about all carrying loads of bags - I am always amazed when we go to Meadowhall - if money is so short why do they buy so much stuff!! or more to the point how can they afford so much. If I go to Truro once a month I may not even buy anything - perhaps its contentment - I don't need to purchase material things to keep me happy.

I do agree the sense of humour is unique to Yorkshire and when I get together with my brother its great.

Hi smary

I think you will find that it is NOT the Sheffield folk that are spending their money in MeadowHell but all the day trippers from out of town I live in the W/Midlands and find it surprising the amount of Brummies that travel up to MeadowHell when they have a center like the Bullring plus other smaller outlets on the outskirts of Brum I still come up to Sheff on a very regular basis and like what has been mentioned before the Sheffield folk are second to none for friendliness and humour I have to come to get my Henderson's fix :love:.

---------- Post added 24-04-2013 at 14:06 ----------

Hi,

I now live in Dorset and I am very settled and happy but I have to admit that I do miss talking to people from my home city of Sheffield. The humour is so different here and sometimes the things that I say just receive blank looks from people down here. They just don't get the Sheffield humour. Of course I could be wrong - it might just be that I'm not funny. No that can't possibly right. Silly me. Lol !

Granny Pat

Hi PAT

I have not heard from you in quite a while I do hope you are keeping OK I had Frank Holsman get in touch with me a few weeks back I don't know if he has contacted you I pointed him in your direction like me he has been in poor health over the years but sounds OK at the present time I cant remember if I sent you photos of Frank,Paul Mangle and Myself I sent them over to Frank and he was delighted with them I hope to catch you again soon as always TAKE CARE JACK X.

Hi Jack,

Lovely to hear from you again. No, I haven't heard anything from Frank but he probably doesn't remember me. Let's be honest, you don't remember me from back then and you were more a part of "our gang" than Frank. He moved into the area later. The thing I remember most about you was that you were accident prone. Lol. You were always falling down and we would take you back home crying your eyes out and explain to your mum what you'd done this time.

Yes you did send me the photos. I thought that I had said thank you already and I'm so sorry if I didn't. It was lovely to see them, I was very grateful to you. I hope that you are keeping well.

Pat

Edited by grannypat
spelling

Hi Jack,

Lovely to hear from you again. No, I haven't heard anything from Frank but he probably doesn't remember me. Let's be honest, you don't remember me from back then and you were more a part of "our gang" than Frank. He moved into the area later. The thing I remember most about you was that you were accident prone. Lol. You were always falling down and we would take you back home crying your eyes out and explain to your mum what you'd done this time.

Yes you did send me the photos. I thought that I had said thank you already and I'm so sorry if I didn't. It was lovely to see them, I was very grateful to you. I hope that you are keeping well.

Pat

Thanks for the reply Pat

I have found some more photos from Gladys & Alf Batty's Golden wedding with my Mom and some old faces you might recognise on when I find the time I will E-Mail them over to you if you have any photos of yourself in your younger years please let me have them it might just jog my brain cell the picture you have of me hits the nail on the head yes I was accident prone and in a way still am but I don't cry as much just moan according to my wife I don't know if you knew Richard "BRADS" Bradbury who lived a few houses away from Stacy's garage I was told a few weeks ago that he had passed away he was about the same age as the Orwin twins so he was a few years younger than you so you might not know him until the next time TAKE CARE.