Anyone from Sheffield now live in Dorset, Devon, Cornwall area?

Hi,

I now live in Dorset and I am very settled and happy but I have to admit that I do miss talking to people from my home city of Sheffield. The humour is so different here and sometimes the things that I say just receive blank looks from people down here. They just don't get the Sheffield humour. Of course I could be wrong - it might just be that I'm not funny. No that can't possibly right. Silly me. Lol !

Grannypat

Hi Your so lucky to be living in Dorset, wish we could afford to make the move. Had some lovely holidays in Devon Dorset and Cornwall,wish we could get there more often, where abouts in Dorset are you, which part of Sheffield did you leave. The only thing I would really miss is not having the Peak District on my doorstep! When did you make the move! Penny.

Hi,

I now live in Dorset and I am very settled and happy but I have to admit that I do miss talking to people from my home city of Sheffield. The humour is so different here and sometimes the things that I say just receive blank looks from people down here. They just don't get the Sheffield humour. Of course I could be wrong - it might just be that I'm not funny. No that can't possibly right. Silly me. Lol !Grannypat

Of course its nowt to do with you not being funny:) Ive had the blank looks many times when ive been down there,like you say,they dont get the sheffield humour[but then again neither do a lot of places]im sure its a small price to pay for living there though.

Hi neilf and Gazza58

You are both correct - this is a lovely part of England. However I must agree with you that so is the Peak District. I now live in West Dorset and I left Sheffield in 1995. I grew up near the bottom of Ecclesall Road but lived in High Green at the time of leaving Sheffield.

I really do think that Sheffield humour is quite unique. I also miss the open and friendly chat with complete strangers back in Sheffield. If you try to speak to someone you don't know here they look at you as though they think you might want them to give you a home for the rest of your life rather than seeing it as the friendly observation on the weather it was meant as. I must say that that doesn't apply to everyone here just a large proportion of the population. I have to come back up to Sheffield now and then just to have a "fix" of Sheffield warmth.

Grannypat

East Devon.

Left Sheffield in Sept 1977

only go back to see my Dad and a few mates

Keanaz

Hi neilf and Gazza58

You are both correct - this is a lovely part of England. However I must agree with you that so is the Peak District. I now live in West Dorset and I left Sheffield in 1995. I grew up near the bottom of Ecclesall Road but lived in High Green at the time of leaving Sheffield.

I really do think that Sheffield humour is quite unique. I also miss the open and friendly chat with complete strangers back in Sheffield. If you try to speak to someone you don't know here they look at you as though they think you might want them to give you a home for the rest of your life rather than seeing it as the friendly observation on the weather it was meant as. I must say that that doesn't apply to everyone here just a large proportion of the population. I have to come back up to Sheffield now and then just to have a "fix" of Sheffield warmth.

Grannypat

I live in Sheffield, purely for business reasons. I have a property in Somerset and can't wait to retire and move back down there full time and sack this rubbish life off. The Sheffield you remember has now been taken over by low life drug addicts, east europeans, romanian gypsies etc. When we go down to our home in Somerset we are welcomed by genuine friendly people, a world away from the Sheffield xenophobia.

I live in Sheffield, purely for business reasons. I have a property in Somerset and can't wait to retire and move back down there full time and sack this rubbish life off. The Sheffield you remember has now been taken over by low life drug addicts, east europeans, romanian gypsies etc. When we go down to our home in Somerset we are welcomed by genuine friendly people, a world away from the Sheffield xenophobia.

That's a bit rich.

I lived in Cornwall for 6 years. I missed the Sheffield people and the distances involved meant the 'fix' could only be sorted by moving back home.

If you want a laid back, couldn't care less, lazy type of life style then the West Country is ideal for you. If you want to be ambitious and develop a business and surround yourself with like minded positive peope then unfortunately that part of the country is not the place for you.

As much as you may dislike Sheffield I would rather have this city with its challenges than the slow moving, backward thinking, 'you're only welcome if you are a local' Cornwall.

An area of the country that only deserves a visit for a two week holiday at most.

I lived in Cornwall for 6 years. I missed the Sheffield people and the distances involved meant the 'fix' could only be sorted by moving back home.

If you want a laid back, couldn't care less, lazy type of life style then the West Country is ideal for you. If you want to be ambitious and develop a business and surround yourself with like minded positive peope then unfortunately that part of the country is not the place for you.

As much as you may dislike Sheffield I would rather have this city with its challenges than the slow moving, backward thinking, 'you're only welcome if you are a local' Cornwall.

An area of the country that only deserves a visit for a two week holiday at most.

I too lived in Cornwall for 8 years in Illogan, nr Redruth. I had to move back up to Sheffield for work reasons, but I miss the South West way of life, I've never settled back here in Sheffield to be honest. The Sheffield I knew 30 years ago is sadly not the Sheffield we have today.

I too lived in Cornwall for 8 years in Illogan, nr Redruth. I had to move back up to Sheffield for work reasons, but I miss the South West way of life, I've never settled back here in Sheffield to be honest. The Sheffield I knew 30 years ago is sadly not the Sheffield we have today.

I left the city about the same time as you, moving back a few months ago, I agree its not the same, it seems a bit sad compared to the 60s and 70s.

I went into the City centre on Saturday morning, it was empty. I hope its not in terminal decline but it does feel that way.

I spent six years in East devon Nr Honiton, found it very wet and the natives not very friendly to outsiders. Now in rural Lincolnshire, much friendlier people and not half the rain!.

Sedith was a bit dramatic of his view of Sheffield in the 21 century, however I find when I return to visit the City it no way resembles the place I remember some 37 years ago.

Sheffield was a major Steel making and engineering industrial power base, alas much has gone leaving the City without the heart and vibrant atmosphere it once had.

Gary Marshman

North Wales