Ice cream vans article star

This is what happens when public bodies get too much power. Apart from having the relevant food hygiene certs, why should an ice cream van have to be licensed at all?

This is what happens when public bodies get too much power. Apart from having the relevant food hygiene certs, why should an ice cream van have to be licensed at all?

They shouldnt , but licencing them is a way that councils can screw them for money .

Margaret Thatcher........Milk Snatcher

Julie Dore....................Ice Cream No More.

She's certainly taken a large proportion of my lolly.

Fair point Ash. I can find plenty from the EU on the control of emissions from ice cream vans and I can find statistics from same that show that the level of emissions rise with the age of the vehicles, but not the 5 year rule which SCC show quite clearly on their website.

The best thing for me to do is try to get the facts from the horse's mouth (sic) and post on here as soon as I can.

Finally...:rolleyes:

Surely the council must have more pressing things to get involved in.

I got in a black taxi the other day that must have been at least 20 years old.

The council licensing commitee has an age restriction policy of 15 years on black cabs.

redrobbo is the chair of Sheffield City Council Licensing Committee

The council licensing commitee has an age restriction policy of 15 years on black cabs.

redrobbo is the chair of Sheffield City Council Licensing Committee

So why are the council targeting Ice Cream vans over 5 years old when Taxi`s are allowed for 15 years. ?

The best thing for me to do is try to get the facts from the horse's mouth (sic) and post on here as soon as I can.

As the chair of Sheffield Council Licensing Committee, I may be the "horse's mouth" you are referring to!

Permit me to put this into perspective.

Last November, the Licensing Committee (which comprises Labour, Lib Dem and Green councillors) received a report on street trading. In an attempt to improve both vehicle standards and emissions it was agreed that an age restriction of 5 years on vehicles would be imposed.

No ice cream traders had responded to the council's consultation document. But nearly two weeks ago now, an ice cream trader from Walkley came to a committee meeting to appeal against the new policy. The gentleman provided a sound and sensible case to allow him to continue trading with his existing vehicle (which is over 20 years of age) and his application was granted.

In the process of granting the application, we immediately suspended the new policy and asked officers to review the vehicle emissions issue again. As a council, we do, by law, have to meet certain standards of emissions as adopted by the government - as RosyRat has been explaining.

But it is now obvious that the policy we adopted isn't suitable, and so we've scrapped it. A new consultation on different ideas on how to meet the goverment's emissions policy will now take place with street traders. It is to be hoped that the ice cream traders will, this next time round, give us their views!

---------- Post added 22-04-2013 at 18:37 ----------

So why are the council targeting Ice Cream vans over 5 years old when Taxi`s are allowed for 15 years. ?

See my post above.

The council are not targetting ice cream vans.

The Licensing Committee adopted a report in relation to street traders (which includes mobile fruit & veg vans, wet fish vans, burger vans, ice cream vans, etc.).

The 15 year age policy for taxis relates to the period of time when they need to be replaced. Taxis are already governed by an emissions policy.

The idea of having an age restriction on street traders (including ice cream vans) as a mechanism to control vehicle emissions fell at the first hurdle when the ice cream seller from Walkley explained to us the problems it was going to cause him. We listened, and instantly scrapped the new policy to go back to the drawing board.

What next same as london Low Emmision Charges £100 per day if your vehicle is over a certain age it drive around Sheffield. http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/default.aspx:loopy::loopy:

Sheffield isn't London Bikertec. We are not in any case talking about the general travelling public in their private vehicles, but about street traders - who need a license to operate in Sheffield.

I'm confident we'll find a solution to the problem of meeting the government's target of vehicle emissions for street traders. In the meantime, whilst we further ponder this problem - and with the better weather we're now experiencing - I'm relishing having a '99'! :)

So in other words, an ill conceived unworkable ****-up. Probably wasted a tidy sum dreaming up the policy.

So in other words, an ill conceived unworkable ****-up. Probably wasted a tidy sum dreaming up the policy.

It seems to me that it never got past the discussion stage,the committee asked for comments,got them,took them on board and acted.

Democracy in action.

So The Star was running a non-story again.

There was a consultation, few responded, no-one objected, a plan was put together, someone read about it, they complained, the plan was suspended.

Which bit about local democracy are the moaners on about now?