Ice cream vans article star

Why does this not surprise me. Sheffield council are pathetic . Now they are trying to kill off small independent Ice Cream business`s. As someone has already pointed out, what about the hundreds of polluting buses that are clogging up the cities roads all day , running round empty with no passengers on then.

---------- Post added 20-04-2013 at 15:41 ----------

If any vehicle passes the emissions test when it has its MOT , then it is roadworthy ,and the council have no right to ban vehicles that have been deemed roadworthy by qualified MOT testers.

how many ice cream vans are polluting the city....must be thousands trawling the streets...:hihi::hihi:

I've read your links (but couldn't post until 4am (well 5am, as the clock still aint right!)).

I'm not trying to be smart or clever, I genuinely don't know, and know to take the Star as it comes - but can you explain the 5 year old thing as part of the EU directive? It's probably right in front of me, but I can't see it. And the best person to ask is someone in the know.

I have read the government document as well and i cannot see the no older than 5 year old directive either.

I've read your links (but couldn't post until 4am (well 5am, as the clock still aint right!)).

I'm not trying to be smart or clever, I genuinely don't know, and know to take the Star as it comes - but can you explain the 5 year old thing as part of the EU directive? It's probably right in front of me, but I can't see it. And the best person to ask is someone in the know.

Fair point Ash. I can find plenty from the EU on the control of emissions from ice cream vans and I can find statistics from same that show that the level of emissions rise with the age of the vehicles, but not the 5 year rule which SCC show quite clearly on their website.

The best thing for me to do is try to get the facts from the horse's mouth (sic) and post on here as soon as I can.

The best thing for me to do is try to get the facts ..........

Strange that you chose to ignore the fact that your glaring error was pointed out to you ages ago and you continued to compound your mistake.

Well any ice cream man worth his cream will get a horse and cart and lets see if the council put a tax on horse poo.He would have no road tax to pay either and oats are cheaper than fuel.Go for it fellas and stick it to em.

None of this is is new. Traders may say that the stipulation over vehicles over 5 years old is in "the small print" but I found it easily enough and it's not in small print :

"Motorised vehicles should not be of an age of 5 years or over."

And no, it doesn't just apply to ice cream vans but all vehicles used by street traders. Link here :

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/business-economy/licensing/general-licensing/retail/street-trading/mobile-other.html Click on citywide street trading criteria.

You'll notice that the regulations date from 2011.

All this will do is put small business`s out of business as they cant afford brand new vehicles ,but that wont bother sheffield council who couldnt care less about small business.

"Motorised vehicles should not be of an age of 5 years or over."

It only says "should". You should not park on the pavement, but many do; its when it says 'must' that we need to worry.

If any vehicle passes the emissions test that should be the end of the story the council are idiots joes ices in in Beighton turners in killamarsh etc should be left alone life's hard enough with out all this rubbish.

Margaret Thatcher........Milk Snatcher

Julie Dore....................Ice Cream No More.

Margaret Thatcher........Milk Snatcher

Julie Dore....................Ice Cream No More.

I think it could catch on :hihi:

There is no EU ruling on building IKEA's.

There is no EU ruling on refusing NEXT home and garden stores.

Labour are killing this city.

Led by Julie Dore, the ice cream snatcher.

and closing don valley and making sheffield a laughing stock

It would appear that SCC have the power to do this however you have to ask why is it ha been done . If the council want to get the footprint lower then there must be more affective ways to do it. The number of ice cream vans must be very low, surely if they were to make all buses euro 3 or above this would help , however , they don't have the power to do so.

I suspect they do have the power to do this with taxis' (can anyone confirm they do) but haven't done so this would surely have a bigger affect on the footprint as there are more of these. It would however remove a lot of the taxis (black cabs) currently on the road I suspect it would remove around 19 out of 20 . Really think Sheffield council could do something else more affective than this with ice cream vans