Jimmy Crawford?

Not much of an expert on pop music , past or present , but I do have a few vague memories of a ' Jimmy Crawford ' , a Sheffielder .

He got to be a ' name ' in Sheffield at about exactly the same time as Dave Berry so that might help with the dates ?

Whereas Dave Berry was tall and dark , I think Jimmy Crawford had blonde hair and was average height .

I think the ' The News Theatre ' reference was a bit odd ? I think it had been the News Theatre for years before the 1960's and Dave Berry and Jimmy Crawford must have been getting well-known in the early 1960's ? May be wrong there and apologies in advance if I've got it mixed up .

dave berry and jimmy crawford used to go to sheffeild speedway regular.

Jimmy Crawford real name Ron Lindsay was an architect by trade and made it big in Sheffield in the 60´s with The Jimmy Crawford Experience. He had a hit record in 1964 with a song called I love how you love me. He now lives in Derby. I last saw Jimmy in 2003 at The Marquis of Granby Hope Valley during a 1960 Sheffield music night. On the bill was Dave Berry, Jimmy Crawford and Sheffields answere to the Everly brothers "Mickey and Johnny". I played guitar for Mickey and Johnny (Dave and Trev) along with Carey Bayliss and Nick Reaney both from The Acoustic Angels. Hope this helps

Jimmy had a couple of hits but not in 1964, they were in 1961, I love how you love me reached number 18 and was relunctantly released early.

I remember the Marquis of Granby gig I think it was Crawfords first gig after that almost fatal car crash.

I used to be in the Scunthorpe band called the Chechakos with Geoff Theaker an d Gerry. many years ago.

Would GLT22 like to put me in touch with his dad so we can catch up on old times?

My contact is on Sheffield forum as Checharkos.

Jimmy Crawford, real name Ron Lyndsay, I believe I first saw him one Saturday morning in 1957 at the Cinama at Fitzalan Sq, later to become known as "The News Theatre".

He was billed as "Ron Lyndsay and the Coasters" I believe..and the bass player was called "Art Jacobs" and the guitarist was a very young "Frank White"...Later on he change his name and became "Jimmy Crawford and the ravens"...More to follow but my memory needs a jog.

Are you Timbuck Kenny Timms

---------- Post added 01-05-2016 at 13:26 ----------

Timbuck are you Ken Timms ?

He kept the name the "Jimmy Crawford and Coasters" until the American group of the "Coasters" objected, he then had to change it to the "Ravens"

He kept the name the "Jimmy Crawford and Coasters" until the American group of the "Coasters" objected, he then had to change it to the "Ravens"

Not 100% sure but his change of name came about because the Coasters name could not be used as it was already out there, on hit records. So the entire name of the act was changed. It happened earlier when Cliff Richard's band had to change their name from the Drifters to the Shadows for exactly the same reason. However Cliff had already changed his name from Harry Webb, so just the band changed their name. I don't think there was ever a Jimmy Crawford and the Coasters ever used on a recording.

Edited by TORONTONY

Fairly sure I saw him at the Club 60, as Jimmy Crawford and the Coasters. I seem to remember that the name change came about when he made his first record. However, I have to say it was a lifetime ago, so no guarantees.

Fairly sure I saw him at the Club 60, as Jimmy Crawford and the Coasters. I seem to remember that the name change came about when he made his first record. However, I have to say it was a lifetime ago, so no guarantees.

Loud and clear on the "lifetime ago" part lol

My Jimmy Crawford vinyl is just him alone, i'm not old enough to have been around back then but i'm educating our 2 year old grandson to the quality of oldies on vinyl.

hi i'm going back sixty years i remember ron lindsay from our school days at springfield school in sheffield his last teacher would have been mrs taylor that was in 1948, he passed the 11+ exam,he lived at the bottom of aberdeen street on the opposite side of the road lived raymond and michael naylor.

i only saw him on stage once that was 1957/8 at the st philips wmc sheffield.the last time i saw him was on t.v. on an evening with freddie starr or another one he was in the audience,

I vaughly remember him but seem to think he had a large open top pink American Cadilac

which he used to park at the bottom of

Ecclesal road

I vaughly remember him but seem to think he had a large open top pink American Cadilac

which he used to park at the bottom of

Ecclesal road

In the very early sixties; late `61 on; I remember seeing him drive by on Broomhall St in his pink cadilac.To his mums I think someone told me.

This was observed from one of the balconies that ran around the outside of Viners where I worked at that time.