Jimmy Crawford?

lol@ The Sheaf Valley Stompers

sounds cool

did they go swimming? errrrrrm

I have many great memories of seeing Jimmy Crawford perform in and around Sheffield during the sixties.

The last time I heard Jimmy was on Radio Derby about two or three years ago when he was on a phone in programme along with Dave Berry. The two of them were talking about their memories of the sixties.

Jimmy was at that time living in Chaddesdon area of Derby.

Jimmy crawford is alive and well. He had a bad car accident last year but is well on the road to recovery. Should be back on the club circuit shortly

There is an excellent book on popular music in Sheffield 1955-1975 called Not Like A Proper Job by John Firminger and Martin Lilleker. It has comprehensive sections on all the local groups etc including Jimmy Crawford and all the usual suspects. Highly recommended.

Hope I can contribute as a newbie. I was a projectionist as the Gaumont in the early 60s and worked on the lighting for all stage shows including the saturday morning live stage shows. jimmy crawford, dave berry & others were just a few of the artists featured. The manager, Harry Murray, started these shows around 1961 and they ran till (i think) 65 or 66. Enjoying the site as an ex sheffield lad now resident in portugal.

Jimmy Crawford, Dave Berry & Frank White are due to play a charity gig at the Abbeydale Cinema sometime around Spring 2006, not sure of the exact date.

My husband Barry Page played drums with Jimmy Crawford from about 1977 (when he did a six month tour of Australia with him) and 1981. Big Jim Ryder was on guitar and Gary Lawson (from Sunderland) was on keyboards. Sadly, Gary died about four years ago in Blackpool aged only 39 and Big Jim died in February 05 aged 65.

I last saw Jimmy Crawford at Big Jim's 60th birthday party in Burton on Trent. He was living in Derby with his wife Maureen and planning to sing again (? in a blues band I think). From what someone else has posted on the messageboard it appears he was in a car crash although I have never heard anything myself.

Unfortunately I once had a vinyl LP of Crawford which I lent to a friend and it was never returned to me. If anyone could make me a tape or CD I would be absolutely ecstatic as, I'm sure you will appreciate, they were a fantastic band and I don't think we'll ever see the likes of them again!!

Bye for now

June Page

june if you get to 5 posts?? i can pm you

i have some info you might want to hear

I was told as a kid ... that Jimmy Crawford went to the Central Technical School (as I did later) and made a hit during the early 60s. My (slightly older) cousin thought he was the bee's whatsits! I remember him as a blonde (eh, Fareast?) and had a really good singing voice.

the accident he was in was last march both he and his wife Maureen were badly injured but both have almost made a complete recovery

My husband Barry Page played drums with Jimmy Crawford from about 1977 (when he did a six month tour of Australia with him) and 1981. Big Jim Ryder was on guitar and Gary Lawson (from Sunderland) was on keyboards. Sadly, Gary died about four years ago in Blackpool aged only 39 and Big Jim died in February 05 aged 65.

I last saw Jimmy Crawford at Big Jim's 60th birthday party in Burton on Trent. He was living in Derby with his wife Maureen and planning to sing again (? in a blues band I think). From what someone else has posted on the messageboard it appears he was in a car crash although I have never heard anything myself.

Unfortunately I once had a vinyl LP of Crawford which I lent to a friend and it was never returned to me. If anyone could make me a tape or CD I would be absolutely ecstatic as, I'm sure you will appreciate, they were a fantastic band and I don't think we'll ever see the likes of them again!!

Bye for now

June Page

June.. is there any chance you can find out what the name of the band was, that Big Jim played in before he joined up with Jimmy?..Co's it's driving me nuts trying to remember...Also, it's sad to know Big Jim is no longer around.

Timbuck

Jimmy Crawford and the Messengers was formed in early 1963 after the disbanding of the Ravens. By September 1963 Jimmy had disbanded the Messengers and he teamed up with the Shantells led by Jim Ryder.

Hope this helps.