Jimmy Crawford?

i went to school with jimmy's son dean lindsay though didn't know about his dad then. They left the area in 1971 and Dean went to high storrs i remember him from morley st. we met up for a coffee when did reunion for school,and kept in contact from 2000 since changed his mobile. Did meet with with his old school friend Damien the other week antique dealer on broadfield rd.Picked up a book from charity shop all about those days and the music, but too young in the 60's.

:help:

i have just found this thread on google, as i have come across a signed photo from my mother's albums, of a "chic wilson" who was a guitarist with a jimmy crawford, from my mothers "yoof" approx 1960. can anyone shed any light as to the correct jimmy crawford connection?

kind regards, sal:thumbsup:

:help:

i have just found this thread on google, as i have come across a signed photo from my mother's albums, of a "chic wilson" who was a guitarist with a jimmy crawford, from my mothers "yoof" approx 1960. can anyone shed any light as to the correct jimmy crawford connection?

kind regards, sal:thumbsup:

Firminger and Lilleker's excellent tome records Chick Wilson being a rythm guitarist in the Jimmy Crawford and the Ravens line-up of 1962. After disbanding the Ravens, Jimmy emerged with a new line-up 'Jimmy Crawford and the Messengers' in 1963 which included ex-Raven Chick Wilson. The Messengers were short-lived being disbanded in September 1963 when Jimmy teamed up with the Shantells led by Jim Ryder. Chick Wilson does not appear to figure any further in Jimmy's career. Hope this is of interest Sal.

The Jimmy Crawford 'Ron Lindsay' was a draughtsman at Davy United in the early days apparently.

My recollection of Ron is from almost 50 years ago when he was in the drawing office training school at Davy United (D-U), and later when he came into the main engineering office.

It was about the time local bands and groups were just getting started. Some of them were pretty bad. The ones on TV weren't much better. (This was way before Top-of-the-Pops or anything remotely like it).

One lunch time, a bunch of the lads, were moaning about some of the groups playing around town, particularly the vocalists. Someone said to Ron "Why don't you have a go". He said he had been thinking about - and the rest, as they say, is history.

Other contributors to this thread have mention his swimming and of course the groups but I seem to recall that he also loved motor cycles. When I first knew him, he had a top-of-the line Triumph. Does anybody remember him buying a Competion level BSA and doing a bit of racing, or is my memory playing tricks again.

Incidentally, another member of the D-U drawing office gang at that time was Terry Thornton. The same guy who went on to open one of the early clubs on, I think, Leadmill Road.

Falls

I got the impression Jimmy Crawford was from an earlier generation than you make out.

He was from the mid 60s and died last year.

Now I could be wrong here as I may have got the wrong Crawford.

I await the big boys, Timbuck, Timo and Buck who are the experts on this field.

That's right, he was from the mid sixties, and his top 20 hit was 'I Love How You Love Me'.

I'm not 100% sure that it was the "News Theatre" it could have been the "Gaumont"..But it was a cinama in central Sheffield that put bands on Saturday mornings in the late 50's (pre Beatles era)..Most bands that were established in those days were swing bands or Jazz (blowing trumpets clarinet's and saxophones) like The "Bernard Taylor orchestra" or "The Sheaf Valley Stompers" Electric guitar based bands were the leading edge in music in those days, Rock and Roll was just begining in Sheffield.

The Gaumont (originally The Regent Theatre) had a fully equipped stage for shows, whereas the News Theatre did not.

would it be fair to say that jimmy was sheffields first pop artist to have a uk hit.

He may well have been the first, I have three of Jimmy Crawfords hits including his 1961 hit Love or money.

Dave Berry I think was from Sheffield and wasn't Billy J Kramer from here to.

Bert Weedon was before Crawford but I think he was from the Leeds area.

I will stand corrected if anyone knows.

I have come accross this forum and thread quite by accident, but thought i would be able to offer you all a unique perspective. I am the god son of Jimmy Crawford, and the eldest son on the late "Big" Jim Ryder.

I can confirm that Jimmy Crawford has made a successful recovery from his serious car crash and that has started perfroming again. I went to see him perform at a club on Saturday just gone near where i live, a club that the "blend" had played a few times in the past. My dad, Jim Ryder, sadly passed away last year.

Both my brother and i are proud to say we have followed in the footsteps of our dad and Jimmy Crawford, as we are both musicians (i play drums and my brother is a Saxophonist Bmus).

Should you have any questions, please post here, as now i have discovered this site i will look in on it alot.

Cheers

HI TO THE SON OF BIG JIM RYDER ,SO PLEASED TO HEAR JIMMY HAS RECOVERED FROM HIS CAR ACCIDENT.

COULD YOU PLEASE GIVE ME CONTACT DETAILS FOR JIMMY CRAWFORD BY EMAIL

peterclarkcllr@clark2.e7even.com

PS. THERE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A TRIBUTE GIG IN SCUNTHORPE TO YOUR DAD INCLUDING JIMMY CRAWFORD BUT NOTHING HAS COME OF IT.

I WILL CONTACT THE SOURCE OF MY INFORMATION AND CHASE IT UP.

REGARDS,

PETER CLARK.

Thanks for the reply. I will certainly pass on your e-mail address to him. I will not however give out any details without consulting him first.

I did hear there was going to be a gig at Scunthorpe, i think maybe at the baths. I was fortunate to perform there with my dad at the 60's megabash 2 or 3 years on the trot. At the time his band was called Platinum, but for the megabash they adopted the name The Jim Ryder band. We certainly enjoyed playing there.

We had a tribute show for my dad not long after he passed away, near where i live. It was a charity event which we raised quite a lot of money for. Jimmy was going to perform, however this was not long after his accident, and therefore could not.

Any info on the gig in Scunthorpe would be welcome, and if it goes ahead, my brother and i will attend for sure.

Just got a pm on another site asking for info on said person cos he knew i came from sheffield, so thought id post it here and see if any of you lot have any info / anecdotes etc

"any chance you remember a guy called Jimmy Crawford who was quite big in the 70-80's? I know he came from Sheffield, had a drummer in his band called Roy Dell (My Dad) along with "big Jim Ryder" etc.

Any info or music much appreciated. I have only one album of his, on vinyl called "The Blend Of Jimmy Crawford". It's a mix of popular pop songs (easy listening genre) from the era etc, no punk or metal. "

From what i know (and from what i have in my possesion) there were a number of albums done by "The Blend". They all featured Jimmy Crawford and my dad. The ones i know of are;

The Blend of Jimmy Crawford

The Blend of Jimmy Crawford: Live at the Talk of the Midlands

Close Encouters with Jimmy Crawford

The Peoples Pleaser