Jimmy Crawford?

Just got a pm on another site asking for info on said person cos he knew i came from sheffield, so thought id post it here and see if any of you lot have any info / anecdotes etc

"any chance you remember a guy called Jimmy Crawford who was quite big in the 70-80's? I know he came from Sheffield, had a drummer in his band called Roy Dell (My Dad) along with "big Jim Ryder" etc.

Any info or music much appreciated. I have only one album of his, on vinyl called "The Blend Of Jimmy Crawford". It's a mix of popular pop songs (easy listening genre) from the era etc, no punk or metal. "

I got the impression Jimmy Crawford was from an earlier generation than you make out.

He was from the mid 60s and died last year.

Now I could be wrong here as I may have got the wrong Crawford.

I await the big boys, Timbuck, Timo and Buck who are the experts on this field.

Jimmy Crawford, real name Ron Lyndsay, I believe I first saw him one Saturday morning in 1957 at the Cinama at Fitzalan Sq, later to become known as "The News Theatre".

He was billed as "Ron Lyndsay and the Coasters" I believe..and the bass player was called "Art Jacobs" and the guitarist was a very young "Frank White"...Later on he change his name and became "Jimmy Crawford and the ravens"...More to follow but my memory needs a jog.

*waits for timbucks memory to take aslow jog round the block*

Just got a pm on another site asking for info on said person cos he knew i came from sheffield, so thought id post it here and see if any of you lot have any info / anecdotes etc

"any chance you remember a guy called Jimmy Crawford who was quite big in the 70-80's? I know he came from Sheffield, had a drummer in his band called Roy Dell (My Dad) along with "big Jim Ryder" etc.

Any info or music much appreciated. I have only one album of his, on vinyl called "The Blend Of Jimmy Crawford". It's a mix of popular pop songs (easy listening genre) from the era etc, no punk or metal. "

Jimmy Crawford: “I Shoulda Listened to Mama” / “A Boy Without a Girl” (Columbia) about 1963 I think

wasn't he the same =Ron Lyndsay and the Coasters=Jimmy Crawford and the ravens

He lived in aberdeen st just of the old broomhall area yrs back,fantastic swimmer by the way,if my memory is correct he played water polo,and swam for sheffield at glossop rd baths.

Jimmy Crawford, real name Ron Lyndsay, I believe I first saw him one Saturday morning in 1957 at the Cinama at Fitzalan Sq, later to become known as "The News Theatre".

He was billed as "Ron Lyndsay and the Coasters" I believe..and the bass player was called "Art Jacobs" and the guitarist was a very young "Frank White"...Later on he change his name and became "Jimmy Crawford and the ravens"...More to follow but my memory needs a jog.

One night in the 60,s I went to the "Sicy Hotel" to see a new band visiting the area, They were very good and featured a lot of comedy routines, like taking the mickey out of pop groups of the time like the "Beatles" and the "Shadows" doing the old song "Nellie Dean" it was very funny (but you had to be there)..I can't remember the name of this group but the guitar man was "Big Jim ryder" perhaps someone can fill in these details later...Anyway, this group later on became Jimmy Crawfords backing band for a while...Then they split ( like bands do) Our band was working in a club one night in Hartlepool and the support act was "Jim Ryder" he did a great show all on his todd and I especialy remember him playing an instrumental on the guitar called "The theme from The Good the Bad & the Ugly"..Later on he rejoined Jimmy and they became a double act..I don't remember the name but they were on the "New Faces show" on TV..I remember they had turned into Mexicans??

Not much of an expert on pop music , past or present , but I do have a few vague memories of a ' Jimmy Crawford ' , a Sheffielder .

He got to be a ' name ' in Sheffield at about exactly the same time as Dave Berry so that might help with the dates ?

Whereas Dave Berry was tall and dark , I think Jimmy Crawford had blonde hair and was average height .

I think the ' The News Theatre ' reference was a bit odd ? I think it had been the News Theatre for years before the 1960's and Dave Berry and Jimmy Crawford must have been getting well-known in the early 1960's ? May be wrong there and apologies in advance if I've got it mixed up .

Jimmy Crawford was from the sixties, along with Dave Berry, and Joe Cocker,

I think his most well known song was "I love how you love me", I think he lived somewhere down Twentywell Lane Bradway, was married to Maureen, I am almost sure his name was Ron Lindsay, but I didn't know he'd died so I am shocked.

While looking back to the sixties, does anyone remember "Johnny Hawk and the Falcons"? Like Joe Cocker and Dave Berry they did the rounds in the sixties, quite good at the time I think.

I think Dave Berry visits this forum from time to time, he would come in usfull on this thread.

I last recall Jimmy Crawford playing at the Marquis of Granby in Bamford about 3 years ago.

Not much of an expert on pop music , past or present , but I do have a few vague memories of a ' Jimmy Crawford ' , a Sheffielder .

He got to be a ' name ' in Sheffield at about exactly the same time as Dave Berry so that might help with the dates ?

Whereas Dave Berry was tall and dark , I think Jimmy Crawford had blonde hair and was average height .

I think the ' The News Theatre ' reference was a bit odd ? I think it had been the News Theatre for years before the 1960's and Dave Berry and Jimmy Crawford must have been getting well-known in the early 1960's ? May be wrong there and apologies in advance if I've got it mixed up .

I'm not 100% sure that it was the "News Theatre" it could have been the "Gaumont"..But it was a cinama in central Sheffield that put bands on Saturday mornings in the late 50's (pre Beatles era)..Most bands that were established in those days were swing bands or Jazz (blowing trumpets clarinet's and saxophones) like The "Bernard Taylor orchestra" or "The Sheaf Valley Stompers" Electric guitar based bands were the leading edge in music in those days, Rock and Roll was just begining in Sheffield.