Advice wanted on Peugeot 307

hi i have just bought a peugeot 307 7 seater 02 reg diesel i have an engine warning light on my dash and a display saying antipolution fault which i think is an egr problem but thats not all it also today whist driving abs came breifly on and went off but when i reach about 30 miles an hour a triangle with an exclamation mark comes on and underneath esp and then my car seems to slow down i think into limp mode any ideas and cost of it to be fixed would be greatful for bit of advice thanks

The ABS problem you describe is a common one on 307s from around 2002, which is usually down to dirt and grime getting under the ABS sensor mount and pushing it away from the hub ring. Its cured with nothing more than half an hour of your time and a wire brush.

"Antipollution fault" is just a generic warning that appears on the dash and could be one of literally a dozen issues, from a dirty fuel filter to a failing injector.

The only way to be certain of the two is to get a Peugeot Planet diagnostic. Dealers charge £80 for this. But I have the equipment and can do it tomorrow as I'm in Sheffield for the day. I only work on Peugeots and own them myself.

I'll PM you my contact details.

The ABS problem you describe is a common one on 307s from around 2002, which is usually down to dirt and grime getting under the ABS sensor mount and pushing it away from the hub ring. Its cured with nothing more than half an hour of your time and a wire brush.

"Antipollution fault" is just a generic warning that appears on the dash and could be one of literally a dozen issues, from a dirty fuel filter to a failing injector.

The only way to be certain of the two is to get a Peugeot Planet diagnostic. Dealers charge £80 for this. But I have the equipment and can do it tomorrow as I'm in Sheffield for the day. I only work on Peugeots and own them myself.

I'll PM you my contact details.

It's not the only way, but it's always preferable

Well you can use a third party diagnostic machine, but all that does is report fault codes, it won't query the car's electronics to the depths Planet does to guarantee a correct diagnosis.

Weekly I see cars which have been mis-diagnosed, such as the examples I posted on the "Audi fuel problem after a service" thread - recommendations to replace ABS pumps or high pressure fuel pumps because that's how the engineer has misinterpreted the fault codes from a generic reader, or is wanting to make a bigger profit by fitting a part that's not needed.

Well you can use a third party diagnostic machine, but all that does is report fault codes

That would be a code reader (EOBD) which are a pet hate of mine for the same reasons as yourself. The market is now flooded with them from as little as £10, with many small/basic garages trying to use them as a substitute for a diagnostic machine (as I'm sure you're aware)

it won't query the car's electronics to the depths Planet does to guarantee a correct diagnosis.

There's quite a few quality brands that make top-end equipment which will do everything the Planet will do, including check parameters, live data, actuating components, coding keys, programming the BSI and other ECU's etc. It's just a case of how much a garage or individual is prepared to invest.

For a Peugeot owner it would be cheaper to buy the Planet, whereas for a (good) garage which works on many brands, some good 3rd party equipment would be a better investment.

I'm sure you'll agree that neither should bother with any if they don't know what they're doing with in the first place

Weekly I see cars which have been mis-diagnosed, such as the examples I posted on the "Audi fuel problem after a service" thread - recommendations to replace ABS pumps or high pressure fuel pumps because that's how the engineer has misinterpreted the fault codes from a generic reader, or is wanting to make a bigger profit by fitting a part that's not needed.

Totally agree

Yep, I've seen quite a few instances where people have screwed up their car by tinkering with Peugeot Planet! But it keeps me in work!

just would like to thank everybody for the advice x