Irregular heart beat

Hi,

I am 35 weeks pregnant and have been getting heart palpitations for the last few days. I had them around 10 weeks but they stopped, but now they are back and are happening maybe every hour or 2. It feels like my heart is beating really irregular, and happens all the time, even if I am just laid down doing nothing. I mentioned it to my midwife the last time i saw her, but she didn't seem worried at all. I know its quite common to get them in pregnancy but should they be happening this often? I go light headed and nearly fainted yesterday with one. I have made a Dr's appointment but cant be seen till late next week. Any ideas if I should be worried or does this all sound normal? I really wish they would stop, they're really getting me down now. Any tips or info, most welcome!

Thanks

Annoying isn't it?!

I've had ectopic beats (early beats which disturb the normal heart rhythm, making next beat feel extra forceful) on and off for years now and am currently 40 weeks pregnant.

At around 15 weeks the ectopic beats got worse, although I was also rather stressed at work at the time. I've never got to the point of feeling faint with mine, but was feeling shattered and breathless. I had already mentioned my history at my booking appointment so when this happened I called the Community Midwife Triage number to discuss.

As a result, I was booked in to see an obstetrician at Jessops later that week and then a consultant plus a cardiologist within a few weeks. I had the usual tests - resting ECG and a 24 hour ECG monitor. Both were absolutely normal. Of course, I have had numerous tests in the past which probably added extra reassurance for my care team and you don't say whether you've ever had this investigated before so don't know if this applies to you.

You're right, this type of irregular heart beat is common in pregnancy - mostly due to the increased blood volume circulating, increased heart rate in pregnancy and extra work the body is doing. It can also be caused by anaemia which is not uncommon during pregnancy. However, I think you really do need to have this checked out and confirmed as 'normal' so don't feel you're being a pain or pushy to press this with your team - the health of you and your baby is paramount. I would not wait until end of next week to see your GP, particularly given your late stage of pregnancy. Call your midwife today and explain just how you're being affected.

Should your irregularity be harmless here's what helps for me in terms of management:

* most importantly, understanding they are not harmful and therefore reducing accompanying anxiety which feeds adrenaline and increases their likelihood. It's very easy to get into a vicious cycle of fear and anticipation which makes the whole thing worse.

* reduce caffeine and other stimulants, although you're likely to be doing this anyway during pregnancy

* get plenty of rest - lack of sleep often makes mine worse

* stay hydrated, eat regularly

* if you can, try some relaxation exercises - it'll help you stay calmer generally and prepare for labour

* if you're getting several of the irregular beats and/or big, thumping ones try coughing - the last cardiologist I saw confirmed that this can stimulate the vagus nerve which is often implicated in such palpitations and stop the extra beats during that time

* both before and during pregnancy I've noted my extra beats seem to be linked to my hormones - they would be particularly bad before my period for example. Obviously not much you can do about this but understanding possible patterns can also offer reassurance.

Lastly, if it's any consolation my ectopic beats aren't bad at the moment. I'm expecting them to go back to their usual pattern after pregnancy but you will hopefully find yours go away once baby has arrived. Also, after seeing medics at Jessops I was discharged back to midwifery led care and am anticipating a low-intervention birth so don't feel that this necessarily means you will spend the rest of your pregnancy strapped to a machine in hospital!

Hope all goes well :)