Do you need any extra vitamins?

Hi

I take multi-vitamins/minerals because I feel that they may do me some good. There are always stories about what we lack, or extra will benefit our health.

So why do you take them?

http://shine.yahoo.com/team-mom/5-signs-vitamin-deficiency-children-151100664.html#!dDVO2

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/health/could-a-lack-of-vitamin-d-be-making-813009

if you eat the correct foods they contain all the vitamins you need ,beware of the bad things they contain too

Does anyone eat ALL of the correct foods? I have been to the docs and told that I was slightly low in iron, not enough meat and beans.

I read that milk contains loads of vitamins and a pint a day does away with the need for many vitamin supplements which are quite pricy.

I'm very much at risk of osteoporosis because I'm from a family which has multiple cases in older women and I had a mechanical menopause just after 30, so I will (hopefully) be living more of my life postmenopausal than I did before menopause. I've also got an awful lot of skeleton to protect, so I take my calcium metabolism very seriously.

I didn't have any form of dairy for a very long time because I get eczema when I eat cow dairy, so I now have a high calcium breakfast with goat milk every day. I still don't really get enough calcium in my diet though since I only get through about 1.5l a week, so I also take a calcium supplement, and because I need vitamin D to absorb the calcium and I also get anaemic regularly, I take a decent multivitamin with iron to give me the best absorption. Then to help me absorb the iron I also take a vitamin C supplement.

I don't believe in substituting nutrients with supplements, but supplements are meant to be supplementary to food nutrients and if that's how they're used then that's fine. Various bits of research show that a hugely increasing proportion of us are becoming deficient in vitamin D and that's a key vitamin in bone health and calcium metabolism.

There's a lot of people being diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency these days, due to our lifestyles. Can affect all ages and cause all sorts of medical problems, from joint and muscle pain to heart problems.

You need supplements if you don't get enough sunlight, and when do we ever get enough sunlight? :D

I take multivits, vitc, fishoil capsules, and echinacea in the winter months. I'm as fit as a butcher's dog ;)

I read that milk contains loads of vitamins and a pint a day does away with the need for many vitamin supplements which are quite pricy.

Just been reading a few web sites about milk, I was surprised how posative they were. Most saying it makes it more likely to get prostate cancer, but many other benefits of milk.

Milk is also used by many of the pro-cycling teams as a natural recovery drink which is nutritionally more complete than the expensive bottles of chemicals sold as post-exercise recovery drinks. It's just a shame that I'm intolerant to it and end up scratching myself in holes if I drink it.

Apparently humans can live indefinitely on just potatoes and butter.

Apparently humans can live indefinitely on just potatoes and butter.

I don't think that would give you enough protein, would it?

My friend at university had a theory that you could live on baked beans, apples and wholemeal bread. It worked for him for at least 18 months.

I keep trying to get more vitamins in our lass,but she's not buying my vitamin C theories. :D:gag: