Mine shaft at Ridgeway

The Drift mine where the Garden Centre is was called Dent Main Pit, where the garden centre buildings are was the main yard, weigh bridge ect, the entrance to the centre is the original entrance to the pit yard. The row of houses to the side is called Diamond Row, once owned by George Stainforth he was a builder who owned the area of land behind the Row he also had his building yard behind there.

The Stainforth family lived in the Bungalow a little further up the road.

Moor Hole Colliery was on the opposite side of the road from the Garden Centre down the field, the head had been capped off and in the sixties all that remained was the shell of the old time house.

I remember playing around on the old head I also remember a small pond and lots of silver birch tress

Can anyone pinpoint exactly where the mine at moorhole was? I've been for a look down moorhole lane but can't find anything?

sierraman- You are looking in the wrong place, if you pass the top of Moorhole Lane and carry on down the hill you will come to the new build housing where Wilsons garage used to be.

There is a stone built bungalow, the lane you are looking for is down the side of that, there is a red post box built into the wall, follow the lane down for about 300 mts.

Not sure what is still left there as the two slag tips were removed a few years ago. to the left of the lane you may still be able to see the area where the row of three pit houses stood.

Just getting away from the main point for a moment that old red pillow box set in the wall is a very old king George one GR if I remember correctly.

---------- Post added 22-04-2013 at 22:26 ----------

Does anyone remember the large house down towards savages farm it had some cannons out on the back of the terrace I think savage may have owned the big house but not sure.

Just getting away from the main point for a moment that old red pillow box set in the wall is a very old king George one GR if I remember correctly.

Does anyone remember the large house down towards savages farm it had some cannons out on the back of the terrace I think savage may have owned the big house but not sure.

The large house was owned by Harold Savage of H Savage & Son Farmers & Butchers, Harold and his wife lived there.

Spot on with the Pillow Box.

i remember the house vividly. You could see the cannons from the footpath which went from the bottom of Brook Lane to Moor Valley. Is the house still there?

i remember the house vividly. You could see the cannons from the footpath which went from the bottom of Brook Lane to Moor Valley. Is the house still there?

Yes the big house is still there but i think the cannons have now gone. Yes we used to walk down brook lane, over the style , across the field, over the foot bridge to cross the brook and up the steep hill, past Savages farm , If you kept on the path to the left as you passed the farm you got a good view of the cannons overhanging the wall. Does that spring any memories for you ?

Walk down Moorhole Lane and after about 800m you will come to a footpath on your left. Walk down that footpath, walking past 4 large detached houses. Just after the last house you will see a mine shaft that has been fenced off. Hopefully this is the shaft you are looking for.

There has been a lot of work carried out in this area over the past few years by the Owlthorpe trust and several new footpaths have been created. It is very popular with dog walkers. I think that this shaft was 'discovered' whilst this work was carried out as it has only been fenced off for the last year or so.

Found it! When was it filled in? Having said that can't see if its filled in or covered over.

Found it! When was it filled in? Having said that can't see if its filled in or covered over.

No idea when it was capped off or filled in, but i am sure i was once told it had been capped off.

some where out that way my grandad and his brother had a drift mine

gordon and lawson osborne

There's one in the woods behind the Owlthorpe estate, been blocked off for as long as i can remember. Spent many an evening there smoking funny fags and drinking a few bottles of Stella!

There's one in the woods behind the Owlthorpe estate, been blocked off for as long as i can remember. Spent many an evening there smoking funny fags and drinking a few bottles of Stella!

Would that one be anywhere near Hanging Lea wood?.