New Martial Arts Classes In Grenoside

Ive always been taught that TKD is a "way" not a pure single path.

One example is one step sparring, where its considered "right" if it would work - it doesnt have to be exact (except in gradings of course).

There is one exception - patterns, but thats obvious.

All that said, i am passionate about TKD (both learing and teaching), and as long as everyone tries their hardest im happy - so i try not to get too bogged down in politics.

Over the past few days ive had some phone calls from interested people saying that they may just turn up on the night.

Sorry to sound harsh but i would prefer if people didnt just appear for the first night's training, i need an idea of how many will be comming so that i can properly plan a class and bring the right amount of equipment.

*** Just as a reminder***

These classes have started in earnest, and the hall can take a suprising amout of people, so if you are curious about TKD, or have an existing desire to learn you can contact me (my details are on my profile) or if you want you can just turn up.

Hello. just seen this thread and was wondering..i live in quite a rough area near grenoside, does taekwondo offer any form of guarenteed self defence techniques?

Hi Grenoside TKD

Good ! Im glad youre nothing to do with that group, no offence to that group but everyone i have spoken to who ahs spoken to that instructor always says that his most common thing to say to prospective new students is "im doin it right and everyone else in sheffield isnt"

So its nice to see that there is a young fresh new instructor in sheffield without all that political mindset that in my opinion pulls down martial arts (especially TKD)

Erm... It's quite hard not to take offence to that really if you're saying 'good I'm glad you have nothing to do with that group'!

I train with Andy Hill and i really enjoy it. He's passionate about TKD, he's very experienced both on and off the mat and he's a really good instructor.

Sometimes people claim to be teaching WTF TKD when they're not members of the body that govern it. Andy gets annoyed with them because they're dishing out grades that might not actually mean anything or be recognised by other clubs. That's all. It's like false advertising and it's the students who lose out ultimately.

...I wonder if you just have a personal argument with Andy, Freddylee?

(I'd like to point out that this post has nothing to do with Grenoside TKD - I'm not questioning his legitimacy at all, just defending my instructor.)

Hello. just seen this thread and was wondering..i live in quite a rough area near grenoside, does taekwondo offer any form of guarenteed self defence techniques?

no martial art offers any form of guaranteed self-defence techniques - period.

i've never done taekwando so cant comment on it's usefulness in self-defence applications, but the leading names in Reality Based Self-Defence in the UK generally recommend martial arts/combat sports such as boxing, muay thai, kickboxing, judo, BJJ and Mixed Martial Arts. Maybe Taekwando has its merits too, but as mentioned earlier, i'm not really qualified to say.

takewondo dont punch to the ehad so tis not real

sorry guys

LOL!!!

takewondo dont punch to the ehad so tis not real

sorry guys

LOL!!!

total lack of respect for anything again huh! are you 14?

Wasenshi

Leave it out please. Freddy is young and speaks before he thinks. I will be having words with him myself. Shall we leave it at that?

If you have any problems with any members of my club then contact me directly either by PM or email.

Dont try to start an "internet war" as I think they are childish and stupid.

Wasenshi

Leave it out please. Freddy is young and speaks before he thinks. I will be having words with him myself. Shall we leave it at that?

If you have any problems with any members of my club then contact me directly either by PM or email.

Dont try to start an "internet war" as I think they are childish and stupid.

Until you become a moderator on this site kindly don't tell me what i can and can't say on it.

He does have a point, sparring where head shots are banned and taps score points is probably detrimental in a self defence situation.

But self defence isn't the only measure of a martial art. If you just want to learn to fight, go out on a saturday night and get in fights.

Wasenshi

I take exception to the disrespectful way with which you adress me on the internet. Youre the one who mentioned lack of respect? Your whole tone of posting is disrespectful and as such I find your attitude rather hypocritical.

It would be interesting to see if you speak with such venom when you are not hiding behind the security of your keyboard. But then again I guess thats your style isnt it?

My name is Farhad Ali, you know how to contact me or where to find me. Other than that, do not bother to post at me again (unless it is to apologise). I cannot be bothered with you at all. I wont waste my time with you , stick to hassling teenagers behind your keyboard. :loopy: