Strange underwater goings-on in Hillsborough?

Couldn't help noticing a lot of activity the other day on/in the river Don at Hillsborough whilst waiting for the 52.

Nosiness won over the normal apathy in me and I went to investigate …

What I initially mistook for a team of Royal Navy Scuba-midgets turned out (on close inspection) to be none other than our dear friends ... the Hillsborough Tree Penguins!

Some of them had left their natural habitat (trees) and taken to the turbulent eddies and whirlpools of the Don, just in front of the weir.

Here's a photo I took by half submerging my mobile phone into the murkey waters.

It turns out they were diving to find the ancient wreck of the 'Morrisons Shopping Trolley' which floundered last week in a sub-tropical rainstorm, having been blown into the river in force 10 conditions, carrying its valuable cargo of tinned sardines. The trolley's recovered manifest (till receipt) suggested that as many as fifteen tins of sardines were on board the stricken trolley as it was wheeled along to a newly opened sandwich shop on T'Cross.

Of course, sardines (apart from crisps, beer and licorice all sorts) are the staple diet of the arboreal penguins, ever since they eschewed Antarctica for the back streets of Hillsborough in the late 60's in search of fame and fortune (and trees). No surprise then that the recovery of the shopping trolley and its valuable cargo should be raised to the surface as a matter of paramount importance ... salvage rights apply to rivers as well as oceans!

Unfortunately, I've not been to Hillsborough for a few days now … I just wondered if anyone had any up to date info on our little friends?

(note to mods ... please don't put this thread in you know where, as it'll sink as quickly as the doomed shopping trolley) :)

That link made me drop my stella!! Love the wasp with the ! :hihi::D:D

:o

In that case, how do we know that the story itself is not just a figment of Mr Alco's imagination?

Has anyone contacted The Star to find out if it's true or not? :suspect:

Give it time, if it's on here it'll be in the Star soon...

You can't see the Don from the 52 bus stop at Hillsborough bus station so I suspect that photo may not be real.

Not even if you stand on the top if it?

I think the photo is real.

Hahahah made me laugh

i dont really think that penguines live in trees ! or is there a place in sheffield that does it ? i saw a butterfly place that had dinosaurs painted on the walls when i was younger. is this place local to wincobank.

i dont really think that penguines live in trees ! or is there a place in sheffield that does it ? i saw a butterfly place that had dinosaurs painted on the walls when i was younger. is this place local to wincobank.

Obviously Hillsborough Tree Penguins live in trees, or we'd just call them Hillsborough Penguins.

Your ignorance can be forgiven though, it's only the honoured few that actually get a glimpse of these secretive fellas

Obviously Hillsborough Tree Penguins live in trees, or we'd just call them Hillsborough Penguins.

Your ignorance can be forgiven though, it's only the honoured few that actually get a glimpse of these secretive fellas

is this in a park ? would be fun to see this ! are they tame trained?

You're right of course 824 ... HTP's are indeed very secretive. The best time to get a glimpse of them is in the winter when all the leaves have fallen off the trees ... even then they're pretty difficult to spot due to their extraordinary camouflage skills.

This skill was passed onto them by their forefathers who were taught it by none other than Robert Falcon Scott whilst on his way to invent the South pole in Antarctica in 1912. This involved scribbling all over themselves with white wax crayons to evade polar bear detection.

It's no coincidence that Poundland is just a few waddles away from the Don, where even to this day, a full set of childrens wax crayons camouflage pigments can be bought for round about a quid.

After checking and cross checking all the posts re this subject i now believe all the facts that are presented by Alcoblog are true and correct and would like to appologise for any doubt I may have cast on the subject. SORRY !!

P.S. Looking forward to Alcoblog's first biography, possibly to go on sale at Asda Parson Cross with the Alcocopter trailing a advertising banner :loopy:

After checking and cross checking all the posts re this subject i now believe all the facts that are presented by Alcoblog are true and correct and would like to appologise for any doubt I may have cast on the subject. SORRY !!

P.S. Looking forward to Alcoblog's first biography, possibly to go on sale at Asda Parson Cross with the Alcocopter trailing a advertising banner :loopy:

I took this post as a compliment 'til I noticed the 'loopy-doopy' at the end! :sad::)

Sorry if I offended you Alcoblog, the loopy smilie was aimed at me.

And as Kenny Everett once said "all in the best possible taste " P.s are you barred from Asda or have they put an injunction on you to stop reporting within a 2 mile radius of Chaucer Rd ? The shell suit brigade are feeling left out

and rumour is they are going down the discrimination route in court (legal aid of course )to claim damages against you !

Sorry if I offended you Alcoblog, the loopy smilie was aimed at me.

And as Kenny Everett once said "all in the best possible taste " P.s are you barred from Asda or have they put an injunction on you to stop reporting within a 2 mile radius of Chaucer Rd ? The shell suit brigade are feeling left out

and rumour is they are going down the discrimination route in court (legal aid of course )to claim damages against you !

Pfft! ... water off a penguins back so far as I'm concerned. I've hired the services of a top flight Mexican attorney called Dr. Gonzo.

I laugh in the face of litigious charges. :cool: