Cooking fires survey

Done. Smoke alarms need to come with some sort of button that can shut them up if they're ever set by burnt toast etc

Done. And thanks for being there if god forbid we ever need you. :thumbsup:

Done - but our oven has self cleaning linings, and I don't get off my face when I go out, so cooking isn't an issue under those circumstances

Ask me about getting distracted by toddler induced disasters and your survey may identify me as a fire hazard ;)

Thanks yes- toddler distraction does seem to be quite common when it comes to cooking related fires!

---------- Post added 17-04-2013 at 09:21 ----------

Done. Smoke alarms need to come with some sort of button that can shut them up if they're ever set by burnt toast etc

A lot of smoke alarms do come with a 'hush' button now for incidents like you've described. You obviously have to remember to unhush the alarm once the smoke has cleared though

I normally get a takeaway after a night on the booze. Too much effort to try and cook, plus I'm usually starving and want feeding instantly.

A lot of smoke alarms do come with a 'hush' button now for incidents like you've described. You obviously have to remember to unhush the alarm once the smoke has cleared though

Pity it doesn't just hush it up for half an hour or something, so you can jab it before you start cooking and it will re-activate itself by the time you start to eat.

Pity it doesn't just hush it up for half an hour or something, so you can jab it before you start cooking and it will re-activate itself by the time you start to eat.

This is how my parents fire alarm works although it is only deactivated for 10-15 mins by pressing the hush button. Thought it was pretty standard these days to be honest. Ours is wired into the mains and if one goes off they all go off - sadly no hush button on that system!

SY Fire - no you don't have to unhush the alarm once the smoke has cleared, they reset themselves. Thought you'd know that as they are the type you fit.

SY Fire - no you don't have to unhush the alarm once the smoke has cleared, they reset themselves. Thought you'd know that as they are the type you fit.

Some older models don't, but beep intermittently instead to remind you to unhush them

Don't have a chip-pan, won't have a chip pan... If I want chips, it's oven chips or micro-chips, at my house!

Thinking of incidents where there was a fire after a night out...

A lodger of mine, some years ago, put my grill on to cook something, after arriving home bevvied up.

She forgot my kettle was on top of the grill, (worktop was too pathetically small to leave kettle on it when not in use) and the kettle went up in flames.

She tried to get the kettle out of the house via the front door, and realised the door was locked, so put the burning kettle down on the carpet. the carpet went up, too! :o

The first thing I knew about her cooking antics was her shaking me awake, saying "Where's the key for the door? The kettle's on fire!"

Bit scary, that was!

So, yes, don't cook and drink!!!