Where can I buy a lovely homemade pie?

Your husband should try the reverse stunt on you, see how much you like it :D :D

? Neither of us is a veggie so it wouldn't matter.

Dobbies pies are good. Chatsworth Farm Shop uses the same supplier as Dobbies. I am sure you can buy the same pies at a butchers shop in the market area in Chesterfield. I think they make the pies.

They are also a lot cheaper then Chatsworth Farm Shop.

I've cooked meat and potato pie, but without the meat, for my veggie friends in the past and it's always gone down quite well. I just fill a big pie dish with various veg - carrots, celery, onions, peas, courgettes, sweetcorn, green beans, cooked in veg stock gravy and slightly thickened by adding a tin of chickpeas, butterbeans or red kidney beans - or a couple of handsful of red lentils or pearl barley. I then top it with a thick suet-crust pastry lid - but made with vegetable suet rather than beef suet - then cook it in the oven like I would a normal meat n' 'tater pie. Serve it with a gravy made from the stock of the cooked vegetables, thickened with a bit of cornflour and flavoured with a pinch or two of any herb you like - sage, thyme, parsley etc.....and, of course, lashings of Henderson's!

I've cooked meat and potato pie, but without the meat, for my veggie friends in the past and it's always gone down quite well. I just fill a big pie dish with various veg - carrots, celery, onions, peas, courgettes, sweetcorn, green beans, cooked in veg stock gravy and slightly thickened by adding a tin of chickpeas, butterbeans or red kidney beans - or a couple of handsful of red lentils or pearl barley. I then top it with a thick suet-crust pastry lid - but made with vegetable suet rather than beef suet - then cook it in the oven like I would a normal meat n' 'tater pie. Serve it with a gravy made from the stock of the cooked vegetables, thickened with a bit of cornflour and flavoured with a pinch or two of any herb you like - sage, thyme, parsley etc.....and, of course, lashings of Henderson's!

Oh that sounds lovely. Although I am not a vegetarian I think I will try it.

Do you have to soak the pearl barley and lentils?

I'm flattered that you want to try my "meatless" meat & potato pie recipe Hauxwell. Let me know how you get on with it.

You don't have to pre-soak either the red lentils or the pearl barley - just cover with cold water or veg stock, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for about 15-20 minutes, then drain them and stir them into the vegetables in the pie dish, before you put the crust on. You can cook the red lentils and pearl barley together if you like - but don't use too many, just a couple of handsful of each, because they really swell up when cooked. You can reserve the stock or water they were boiled in to make gravy, or to freeze for future use in soups, sauces and stews.

I'm flattered that you want to try my "meatless" meat & potato pie recipe Hauxwell. Let me know how you get on with it.

You don't have to pre-soak either the red lentils or the pearl barley - just cover with cold water or veg stock, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for about 15-20 minutes, then drain them and stir them into the vegetables in the pie dish, before you put the crust on. You can cook the red lentils and pearl barley together if you like - but don't use too many, just a couple of handsful of each, because they really swell up when cooked. You can reserve the stock or water they were boiled in to make gravy, or to freeze for future use in soups, sauces and stews.

Thank you for that. Will have to put, pules and Atora Vegetable Suet, on my shopping list. Also I did not realise you could freeze the stock for future use. So thanks for the information.

I bought a massive £13 free range chicken yesterday. I had one breast last night with veg, half a breast this lunchtime with leftover veg, I've another half a breast with leftover veg for tomorrow lunch and for tomorrow tea I'm using the rest of the leftover meat to make a chicken, leek and mushroom pie. I dare say I'll have some leftovers from that as well.

£13, five going on six meals. Not bad, and better than buying some tortured ASDA chicken from Poland

I can definitely recommend Taxman's chicken, leek and mushroom pie. Must invite myself over to his very soon.