Short flush-long flush..

Hi this might sound like a daft question but it's really annoying me. My toilet seems to have a short flush, does anyone know how I can make the flush longer so it doesn't have to be flushed 2/3 Times? I'm probably going to get some "nice" responses to this :) I don't want someone to come and do it but if someone could tell me how I can do it I can do it myself that would be most kind. Thankyou :)

It depends on your flush mechanism, but it's most likely your ballcock is sitting too low. Take the lid off and have a look. It's either a simple screw to sort it out, or it's caked in limescale, won't budge, and needs replacing

There may be a water saving bag in the cistern, limiting the amount of flush water. Take the lid off, and have a look. Otherwise, see if you can raise the water level by adjusting the float.

also if it is of a newer type it will also be adjustable but there are so many on the market now a days it would be hard to talk you through it, the best thing you can do to start is to lift the lid of the cistern and check visually that the water level is sitting around two thirds full and then when you flush it should almost fully empty if not you will need to either adjust you in let if there is not enough water in before you flush or if it does not fully empty then you will need to adjust the siphon.

Hi it all looks like it's filling up but there is one of them bags in there. It's a button for flush. Would I not be able to adjust it with that in there?

remove the bag

Can you describe the button - is it one with like a moon shaped button within a button? Or is it two 'half' buttons side by side?

On our loo at our last house - there were two buttons - one did a long flush, one a short.

This loo has a big button with a moon shape button within it. If you press the button with your finger over the moon shape - the button only depresses so far and a short flush happens. If you press the big button - a long flush happens. Oh, if you press the moon shape button but leave it pressed - a long flush happens.

I've made the assumption that you loo is dual flush. However, not all button flush loos are.

Can you describe the button - is it one with like a moon shaped button within a button? Or is it two 'half' buttons side by side?

On our loo at our last house - there were two buttons - one did a long flush, one a short.

This loo has a big button with a moon shape button within it. If you press the button with your finger over the moon shape - the button only depresses so far and a short flush happens. If you press the big button - a long flush happens. Oh, if you press the moon shape button but leave it pressed - a long flush happens.

I've made the assumption that you loo is dual flush. However, not all button flush loos are.

That's a good point!! There's 2 but ones smaller. Like the moon shape. Always wondered why there was 2! I'll give it a go tomorrow at trying each button thankyou

With high-level tanks this problem never arose: more drop, so more pressure, you see.

That's a good point!! There's 2 but ones smaller. Like the moon shape. Always wondered why there was 2! I'll give it a go tomorrow at trying each button thankyou

think pee and poo - you've got a button for each. That should solve it.

If not, note the point made by Jeffrey in the following and mount your cistern on the roof, (taking care not to obstruct the satelite dish) and fix a long chain to it. This will give you added 'purchase'.