Catheters when going abroad.

Has anyone what the custom regulations are, as the type I use have a water sachet attached.(have tried the customs check-list on line, but no guidance there?. Thanks. P.s. If allowed, I assume these would be in hand luggage and not in the hold to avoid the water in the sachet freezing.

Edited by JOGI

I don't know what the regulations are, but can I suggest that you get a properly signed letter from your doctor or consultant, on headed paper and including all of the relevant information, for you to take with you if you need to prove why you have things they don't understand with you?

As well as being helpful to explain that this is for medical reasons rather than some attempt to smuggle something, this is also helpful if something goes awry with the medical supplies that you have with you so that the medical people wherever you're visiting can contact your doctor and make sure that you get the right replacements.

I found my letter very useful when visiting Canada as the first interaction I had on Canadian soil was being pulled by the sniffer dog as I stepped off the plane after the dog had picked up that I had opioids on me.

Many thanks for your reply Medusa. Will keep you posted when updated.thanks once again

Just to reassure you, there is no risk of freezing in the baggage hold.

Nothing about catheters but....

My husband is insulin dependent diabetic and I carry needles in my hand luggage for him. I always take with me a letter from the doctor together with a list of medication we're taking with us. Never had a problem. :)

Has anyone what the custom regulations are, as the type I use have a water sachet attached.(have tried the customs check-list on line, but no guidance there?. Thanks. P.s. If allowed, I assume these would be in hand luggage and not in the hold to avoid the water in the sachet freezing.

which website have you checked? you need to be looking at the country that you are visiting. I would also suggest a call to the relevent embassy may be helpful. and certainly a letter from your doctor.

Nothing about catheters but....

My husband is insulin dependent diabetic and I carry needles in my hand luggage for him. I always take with me a letter from the doctor together with a list of medication we're taking with us. Never had a problem. :)

Thanks for the mention of insulin in particular. I'll get this covered as well as all other ailments. Thanks also for all other posters replies. Regards

I think that the issue will be with airport security & liquids, rather than any customs problem.

Contact your airline and get their acceptance in writing/e-mail before you travel.

I would also suggest a call to the relevent embassy may be helpful.

Definitely a sound precaution. Either a call or a letter (if time allows).

Some great advice in here:

http://www.manfred-sauer.co.uk/images/helpfulhintsfortravellingabroad.pdf