Fancy running a forum? Sheffield Forum is for sale! Learn more

Baby rice In milk?

If you read the informative posts above, I'm sure they will give you the information you need at this point

As I understood it, this has been a common practice in the past, but so has giving toddlers tea, smoking in the same room as a baby, and smoking and drinking during pregnancy. All of those practices still go on, but people who actually care about what they are doing recognise them as not a good thing to do now we know more about the potential risks

I started weaning at 5 months but I looking back I think he could have waited until 6 months.

Both my husband and my Mum seemed to think I should have started giving solids at 4 months. My son, although not massive, isn't small either. There were times when he was always feeding but now I realised he was doing it for comfort or a growth spurt.

My Mum weaned me at 3 months as that was the advice back then. She was down to giving me one breastfeed a day by 6 months.

My husband was weaned at 5 weeks because my Mother-in-law thought he needed it as milk wasn't enough in her opinion. She had gone to formula milk because she couldn't keep up with breast feeding, she was giving him 8oz bottles at 3 weeks. Although I wasn't there I wouldn't rule out that she was given him too much formula followed by solids too soon as I have seen photos of him at 4 months and, although I don't think my OH would like me saying this, he was fat.

The fact that he doesn't want more milk makes me think your son is doing fine, if he was hungry then I'm sure he would be guzzling bottles down not the other way round! But that is my opinion.

The only experience I have of feeding a baby solids of that age is of my nephew. He wouldn't take any milk due to a chest infection and would only take solids. I looked after him one night and was giving him stage 1 pureed fruit and veg with a spoon. For me the scary part was worrying that he would choke as he couldn't sit up.

Have you moved him up a teat. I had similar trouble with my boy at a similar age and it was because he was getting fed up sucking so much. Bigger hole in the teat and he was well away.

Google the Analytical Armadillo :)

I would personally not put anything in bottles except for milk as it is a choking hazard. Like someone else said, have you changed the teat size? I would try to hang off on food till at least 17wks, then maybe try some puree then.