Lower Walkley Community Group - Community Garden

So to confirm

Contractors flattened the sheds

The council said it was to expensive to do the soil tests

Is that right

I think some limited environmental tests were done on the soil after clearance which found among other things like metals, low levels of asbestos particulates in the soil.

I guess from a legal standpoint, it probably couldn't be absolutely proven how those contaminats got there, although we are all free to draw what we think are the most likely conclusions.

I think i would be asking to see the reports.

It could all be rumour

Have you wandered around the disused plots lately. Quite a few are being used for various things.

A few look like they are being cleared. One has a shelter on it already with a fire pit and tables and chairs and a few have had some mature trees felled.

I walked around them this morning

Well when I had a meeting with the new allotments officer post clearance and the funding being 'reallocated' it was on a site visit where I put forward the proposition for a community orchard and growing space.

I was told under no circumstances would it be allowed due to the nature of what may cross over from soil to crop. Health and safety was the reason given. If my memory serves me well a figure of £14k was quoted to do the full analysis.

I think i would be asking to see the reports.

It could all be rumour

Have you wandered around the disused plots lately. Quite a few are being used for various things.

A few look like they are being cleared. One has a shelter on it already with a fire pit and tables and chairs and a few have had some mature trees felled.

I walked around them this morning

Yes I have, I didn't notice any chairs but the tree felling I did. I know that the felling is not being done by the community group. As best I can tell it is being done by the allotment holders up the hill, for use in wood burning stoves, I guess. I know that Dan the new chairman of the allotment soc. had some ideas about bringing those allotments back into use, although how much the council is involed in that I couldn't tell you. I had thought that the council weren't keen on that happening due to the costs involved in maintenence etc. There are statutory plots on the Rivelin Bank side though that are not part of the community garden plan.

It's not rumour btw, I had a very long and difficult battle to get that far with the council on this one when I was environmental projects officer for Hillsborough Forum, we really wanted to get this land back into use ASAP but the council put a stop on it.

Well when I had a meeting with the new allotments officer post clearance and the funding being 'reallocated' it was on a site visit where I put forward the proposition for a community orchard and growing space.

I was told under no circumstances would it be allowed due to the nature of what may cross over from soil to crop. Health and safety was the reason given. If my memory serves me well a figure of £14k was quoted to do the full analysis.

Are you involved with the community group, or had any contact with them? I think that they would be interested to hear your experiences. The plan for an orchard is similar to one I have heard floated, although decontamination has also been mentioned. The associated cost of that could be substantial.

Are you involved with the community group, or had any contact with them? I think that they would be interested to hear your experiences. The plan for an orchard is similar to one I have heard floated, although decontamination has also been mentioned. The associated cost of that could be substantial.

I'm not Pete, unfortunately new work takes e out of the area for most of the working week but I'm happy to share what I know if the organisers want to pm me.