City council spends £200k on translators

NHS translation bill tops £23m, says 2020 Health

The think tank's chief executive, Julia Manning, said: "The costs involved are truly staggering in an age of austerity.

"Urgent action must be taken by trusts to stem the flow of translation costs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16905491

NHS translation bill tops £23m, says 2020 Health

The think tank's chief executive, Julia Manning, said: "The costs involved are truly staggering in an age of austerity.

"Urgent action must be taken by trusts to stem the flow of translation costs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16905491

That's enough for two state funerals.

Shocker:o

Don't you think that the NHS has a duty of care to try to treat all of it's patients to the best of it's ability?

no not when people that are born here with cancer etc are refused treatment because of lack of funds and have to raise the money themselves

no not when people that are born here with cancer etc are refused treatment because of lack of funds and have to raise the money themselves

That is very rare, and it's usually because the treatment that they want isn't recommended by NICE for one reason or another. Although I agree that people should learn English if they want to live here, suggesting that people who cannot speak English should have less rights than people who can is simply wrong.

The council doesn't treat people suffering from cancer. The NHS does that. And if the NHS is underfunded that's the fault of the government.

I also find it ironic that those people most complaining about interpreters have levels of English and understanding of facts that would make them most unsuitable for any job involving the use of any language.

The council doesn't treat people suffering from cancer. The NHS does that. And if the NHS is underfunded that's the fault of the government.

I also find it ironic that those people most complaining about interpreters have levels of English and understanding of facts that would make them most unsuitable for any job involving the use of any language.

Here we go,losing the discussion so you start insulting people.

Yes definatly if they want to live there!

So basically according to the report it's EU migrant's that are using this service the most.

Ok then why would you up stick's and move to another country with no knowledge of the native tongue?

These aren't refugees they are Economic Migrant's

when you go abroad there,s no such thing as a translator we have to get by and make them understand us, there are many leaflets here and imformation in many different languages but they still dont understand or they dont want too. i have plenty of evidence when im out and about end of story:rant:

Here we go,losing the discussion so you start insulting people.

I was pointing out the irony of people whose English isn't great complaining about people who know at least two languages, including English. The people on here insulting people are the ones insulting the interpreters and those who rely on them.

Odd that you think only the rich can afford to fly. Many countries have classes of people other than the elite who can afford air travel - or is your idea of an asylum seeker someone who lives in a mud hut?

Airports won't always be in areas controlled by the "oppressors" nor will they neccessarily be guarded that strongly. The "oppressor" regime may be quite happy to let opponents flee the country.

There are a whole number of factors - far from as simple as travelling to the nearest land border.

Ill tell you what's "odd" as you say , the fact you think asylum seekers choose the UK for anything other than the fact it is the easiest country to fleece .

Open your eyes

Do you think that it should work the other way, should us Brits have to learn the language of any country that we go to?

Genuine question..are all council (or whatever) documents received by ex pats abroad translated into English..?

Yes but at least they are contributing to the system,not like here.
But how do you know who does and doesn't contribute to the system?

---------- Post added 15-04-2013 at 09:55 ----------

when you go abroad there,s no such thing as a translator we have to get by and make them understand us,
What are you talking about, of course other countries have translaters, under what circumstances they're provided to the impoverished I've no idea.

there are many leaflets here and imformation in many different languages but they still dont understand or they dont want too.

Have you ever visited Spain? There are many road signs and public service documents printed in English and the native tongue

i have plenty of evidence when im out and about end of story:rant:

Perhaps you could produce this 'evidence' so we can discuss it rationally?

---------- Post added 15-04-2013 at 10:02 ----------

Ill tell you what's "odd" as you say , the fact you think asylum seekers choose the UK for anything other than the fact it is the easiest country to fleece .

Open your eyes

I suppose that's why only a minority of asylum seekers choose the UK as their destination of refuge?

Most of us go abroad for holidays. In most places leaflets for all the major (and not so major) tourist attractions are available in English.

Could that be because it helps the attraction make money..I don't think it's done for altruistic purposes..

But how do you know who does and doesn't contribute to the system?

---------- Post added 15-04-2013 at 09:55 ----------

What are you talking about, of course other countries have translaters, under what circumstances they're provided to the impoverished I've no idea.

Have you ever visited Spain? There are many road signs and public service documents printed in English and the native tongue

Perhaps you could produce this 'evidence' so we can discuss it rationally?

---------- Post added 15-04-2013 at 10:02 ----------

I suppose that's why only a minority of asylum seekers choose the UK as their destination of refuge?

I'd hardly call 7th worldwide a minority would you ?