City council spends £200k on translators

if we went to there country there would be no help we would have to cope
How do you know this? Have you required the use of translation services whilst abroad? Many signs/public service documents are in the native language and English and many foreigners already speak English and will do so to accommodate our language deficiencies when trying to converse with them.

most of them are not tax payers there scroungers

Any evidence please so we can discuss your statement like grown ups?

So basically according to the report it's EU migrant's that are using this service the most.

Ok then why would you up stick's and move to another country with no knowledge of the native tongue?

These aren't refugees they are Economic Migrant's

If we went to their country there would be no help, we would have to cope,I am sick of hearing about all these people costing this country lots of money that we haven't got.:rant:

---------- Post added 13-04-2013 at 14:46 ----------

Most of them are not tax payers they're scroungers.

Free translation into English provided by me. Enjoy

So basically according to the report it's EU migrant's that are using this service the most.

Ok then why would you up stick's and move to another country with no knowledge of the native tongue?

These aren't refugees they are Economic Migrant's

Maybe the EU migrants do have some knowledge of English, but the council has to make sure that the migrants have fully understood whatever point that they are trying to get across.

A friend of mine lives in Spani, and if she needs the doctor or dentist etc, she has to hire an interpreter, she pays 12 euros per visit. I agree we shouldn't have to pick up the tab. Soft touch again the UK.

A friend of mine lives in Spani, and if she needs the doctor or dentist etc, she has to hire an interpreter, she pays 12 euros per visit. I agree we shouldn't have to pick up the tab. Soft touch again the UK.

Don't you think that the NHS has a duty of care to try to treat all of it's patients to the best of it's ability?

Is that for private treatment or treatment provided by the state?

Incidentally, at 12 Euros (£10) per visit that sounds like a subsidised interpreter service in any event.

How do you know this? Have you required the use of translation services whilst abroad? Many signs/public service documents are in the native language and English and many foreigners already speak English and will do so to accommodate our language deficiencies when trying to converse with them.

Any evidence please so we can discuss your statement like grown ups?

when you go abroad there,s no such thing as a translator we have to get by and make them understand us, there are many leaflets here and imformation in many different languages but they still dont understand or they dont want too. i have plenty of evidence when im out and about end of story:rant:

when you go abroad there,s no such thing as a translator we have to get by and make them understand us, :

Most of us go abroad for holidays. In most places leaflets for all the major (and not so major) tourist attractions are available in English.

BTW isn't understanding a two way thing - or are you talking about the sort of Brit who goes abroad who thinks they'll be understood if the talk slowly and loudly in English (with or without added pointing) :cool:

Edited by Longcol

I can believe it, two translators at our local primary and junior schools, every sign in the school printed in several languages, same goes for letters sent out.

Is that for private treatment or treatment provided by the state?

Incidentally, at 12 Euros (£10) per visit that sounds like a subsidised interpreter service in any event.

Yes but at least they are contributing to the system,not like here.

---------- Post added 13-04-2013 at 18:09 ----------

Most of us go abroad for holidays. In most places leaflets for all the major (and not so major) tourist attractions are available in English.

BTW isn't understanding a two way thing - or are you talking about the sort of Brit who goes abroad who thinks they'll be understood if the talk slowly and loudly in English (with or without added pointing) :cool:

But these people are not here for a holiday are they.