Guitar Tech help needed

I need some help setting up a Fender Jaguar guitar. Basically, I've replaced the stock bridge, but I'm having trouble getting the action right, setting the intonation and basically getting it comfortable to play. It's all outside of my knowledge base.

Can anyone recommend someone in SY who would know how to get the best out of this particular guitar for a reasonable price?

Grateful for any help.

Hi Graham

I've managed to set up my own Jag ... a process of reading every 'net thread and experimenting for three + years. And I think I've got it right, for me at least. Although I am always tinkering.

I'd gladly offer any advice I can give for the price of a pint.

PM me if you want.

James in Hillsborough

ps: I don't want to take work away from local guitar techs. I normally prefer to go to the guys at Wavelength on London Rd for my everyday tech needs, but Fender Jaguars are not everyday guitars and not every tech has experience of them, especially their bridge and trem system.

Edited by jamesstarky
add stuff

Thanks for the offer James. However, if I have to try and fix it up again I think it's getting smashed. I think I need to pay a professional to do it for me at this time.

In that case I back up James' recommendation of Wavelength (Steve is the name of their tech I think). I've used him and although it was a bit more money than other equally good setups I have had I was pleased with the service. I had an acoustic set up at Wizard guitars and was disappointed as I felt the service was overpriced and the intonation was still not right after the set up.

A good tech should be able to offer a set up that allows you to keep the original bridge.This would involve altering the neck pitch with shims in the neck pocket. I mention this because some people don't like the feel of either the Mustang or Mastery replacement bridges.

I have a Jazzmaster and had similar problems a few years ago.

I took it to Steve Gaines @ Wavelength along with a tube of 'Threadlock' and asked him to set it up and glue it all up to save it shifting again.

15 years on it still plays like a dream.

Re: neck shim: before Steve did the business for me, another tech placed a shim under the neck DISASTER.:gag:

Just my advice. Don't feel you have to act on it or any other clever clogs with differing opinions dis' me down.:loopy:

Good luck.:)

I'm glad to hear that - I just got the guitar back from Steve at Wavelength. Seems like a good job so far, and plays a load better.

Let us know if you find someone who can deal with Jags.

If you can't, you're welcome to have a go on mine, and if it suits I can do the same adjustments on yours.

My main problems were odd buzzing on the fret board, and annoying action. I've kept the stock bridge, and stopped movement of the lugs with plumbers tape. I've shimmed the neck slightly, and adjusted the truss rod to make the neck a bit more concave. That sorted the action for me. The biggest improvement was putting heavier strings on, going from 9s that it came with to 11s and made it feel more stable and comfortable.

James

Re: neck shim: before Steve did the business for me, another tech placed a shim under the neck DISASTER.:gag:

A shim in the neck pocket is the standard method of adjusting neck pitch. Most new guitars with bolt-on necks already have a shim there... The trick is to select the right thickness when making adjustments.

Only ever use these lads myself, one of the techies there used to roadie for Mogwai so he's mint with jaguars.

recently converted mine to a tunomatic and did an amazing job.

http://www.bedfordguitars.co.uk/

Ta

Only ever use these lads myself, one of the techies there used to roadie for Mogwai so he's mint with jaguars.

recently converted mine to a tunomatic and did an amazing job.

http://www.bedfordguitars.co.uk/

Ta

I just got my two guitars back from here too, my 20 year old Strat never sounded so good. Big thumbs up to Bedford guitars (Andy AKA Ozzy did mine)