Sheffield Academy is 5 Years Old Today!!

O2 Academy Sheffield opened 5 years ago today!

We would love to hear your stories of nights out since we opened or in the building when it was the Roxy Disco.

Frank Turner Monday 19th November 2012. Amazing gig I don't think I'll ever forget. First time I'd been to the O2 and I've got to say it definitely brought back memories of happy nights out at the Roxy 20 years ago. Happy Birthday O2!

Heres to another 5 years.

I think the venue has been a welcome addition to the city. It was nice to see Roxy's open again after being derelict for so many years. I love the 50s cinema signage out the front. I also think if we didn't have one we'd lose out on a lot of acts who just do the Academy chain circuit now.

I guess the consequence is that it has killed off the University as a venue - the two rooms at the Academy have taken all the touring bands who used to play at the Octagon and Foundary respectively.

My only small complaints about the venue is that they have no beer - maybe one cooking bitter, but usually that is off. Slightly better than the Carling days though where there weren't even non-Carling options. And the sound is often a bit crap in the small room for some reason.

I think the venue has been a welcome addition to the city. It was nice to see Roxy's open again after being derelict for so many years. I love the 50s cinema signage out the front. I also think if we didn't have one we'd lose out on a lot of acts who just do the Academy chain circuit now.

I guess the consequence is that it has killed off the University as a venue - the two rooms at the Academy have taken all the touring bands who used to play at the Octagon and Foundary respectively.

My only small complaints about the venue is that they have no beer - maybe one cooking bitter, but usually that is off. Slightly better than the Carling days though where there weren't even non-Carling options. And the sound is often a bit crap in the small room for some reason.

Ditto this.

All my favourite artists appear to do the Academy circuit. Saw a great Pendulum gig here. Seen the Prodigy and Gary Numan too. In fact booking today for the Gary Numan show in November.

I too have seen Mr Numan a couple of times at O2! And looking forward to the november gig! The Cat Empire was an epic gig too! The whole place was jumping!!

The Jarvis Cocker and Jeffrey Lewis double bill Rough Trade night was pretty great.

The Jarvis Cocker and Jeffrey Lewis double bill Rough Trade night was pretty great.

It was indeed. And Nick Cave played my all time number one gig in the Academy.

What I like best about it is the sight lines. A big wide stage and a bit of a slope (I think?) make for a good viewing experience.

For me, the Smashing Pumpkins gig was my favourite night there. Even though it wasn't anywhere near being the classic Pumpkins line up, it was awesome to see Billy Corgan play.

Seems like theres a few of us going to the Numan gig.

Im trying to sort a venue for a pre/post gig party..

Seems like theres a few of us going to the Numan gig.

Im trying to sort a venue for a pre/post gig party..

Sounds like a plan! Pity it's a monday night! :( Is anyone going to the Leamington gig in June?