Broomhill - China Inn

Went today for lunch. The premises are very nice but the food is no different than that of most Chinese restaurants on London road, only difference really are the fancy plates. The prices are morse expensive, 50% more than Noodle Inn for the same thing. The evening menu looked very expensive in what is a student area. We got charged £3.60 for and orange juice that came from a carton. Food was alright but we won't be going back as we felt ripped of with the drinks.

Forgot to mention. We had pork dim sum for starter and salt and pepper squid. The squid was frozen, but most bizarrely, the dip for the pork dim sum was salad cream, in a Chinese restaurant ????

Edited by verona
Addition

That was absolutely correct, the Chinese have a liking for British salad cream, a hangover from Hong Kong days. You may also find Lea and Perrins mixed in various dips. Salad cream is also served up with some dim sum at Dim Sum on London Road.

Went a week ago on a Friday night. The setting was very nice with good decoration and a live musician playing. The food was probably the best Chinese food me and my family has ever eaten. And despite us ordering far too much we finished the whole lot. The only minor downside was the inexperienced staff who were slightly slow and a little clumsy at times. It was pricy but no more so than other restaurants of the same quality and location would be. Well worth it and will visit again sometime.

Wow. I can not believe I allowed myself to be swayed by some of the negative reviews on here and stayed away. After a few expensive and disappointing meals I thought Sheffield dining really couldn't get much worse.

The restaurant is beautiful and very comfortable, with the ambience perfected by a live performance of a woman playing the guzheng (I think). The service was excellent, offering really good advice on the food.

The food was very good, tasty starters without a lot of choice. The salt and pepper prawns were large, well spiced with a great sauce and lots of fresh chilli. The squid cake was great. The main course roasts was brilliantly cooked and the prawn curry was delicious, with Malaysian style spicing. We were so full we took food home for later.

A great evening and a great meal. I will certainly be back soon.

Edited by pippadoll

Went early Dec midweek. Had a lovely meal. Dim sum platter, looked great tasted great and seemed good value main was equally fine. Ambience was restful, with a few musicians offering traditional oriental music. Service was spot on, very aware of what and how each dish cooked. Portions worth the £25 quid a head and a doggy bag for the surplus.

Don't agree with me, check it out and share your findings.

Has anyone been here for lunch, I noticed they are offering a meal and a dessert for £6. Anyone been for this deal. I am thinking of going for lunch with my friend.

I went for lunch and had a noodle soup which was really good. A huge portion and we didn't have room for the free ice-cream.

I went when it first opened and wasn't impressed but it seems to have improved a lot. We've also had a couple of takeaways which were good as well.

I went when it opened and was impressed! Since then it's had a change of chefs and my experience (three times) has been limited to exploring the bento boxes at lunch. Very good value.

Can we have the heading altered? The name of the place is Chichainn.

Edited by happyaslarry
Pointing out inaccurate header

Having recently gone for lunch..I agree with the many of the above posts that the food is very average indeed. The staff and the service was nice.

This place seems to have re-badged as The Peking Duck. Anyone tried the new version?