Broomhill - China Inn

I thought it was re-badged as The Crispy Duck Cafe? Sure that's what the sign above says?

It is now the crispy duck cafe and they serve there 'World Famous' crispy duck.

world famous- REALLY?

Judging from the group of people I saw outside overseeing the 'rebranding' of the outside of the restaurant, I doubt this is now an authentic Chinese restaurant.

For the record I don't think it was ever called 'China Inn' despite the thread title. The sign had virtually illegible lettering and not a memorable name but it was something like 'Chichainn'.

Anyway it doesn't sound like the new version will be any good either.

Noticed this place has been closed past few weeks.

Didn't last long.

What's the story with this unit, anyone know?

It seems to have gone the same way as the former KFC unit across the road - i.e. permanently disused and a blight on the area. Broomhill could do with more decent restaurants and I would have thought this could be a good location for one.

It was actually called the the Chi Cha Inn, owed by David Chan, who has a number of other restaurants in town, led by the Noodle Inn. We rather liked the place, often dropping in for a bento box lunch on Saturdays. He told me he had sold the business to a Chinese woman and we went once but it closed shortly afterwards and has remained so.

Guest makapaka

I still think a Chinese restaurant could do well there.

Seems to be some activity in this unit once again. Maybe it'll reopen in a half-hearted way, then shut again after a few months. Maybe it's investors buying up property then not doing much with them for years while they hope the price goes up.

Does anyone know what is about to open at this place. Work started before Christmas, it has been painted orange and has a sign saying open 7 days a week.

Any information much appreciated.