Not impressed with life in Sheffield

TJC1 love the cross section of society remark, it's strange the perceptions we build up of people on here through the spoken word and the occasional heated one. We on the footy section had a little rendezvous last Friday in Weatherspoons on Eccy Road.

What I will say is none of the people I met, matched their persona on here, they were all excellent company and a pleasure to be round, it was a real eye opener and an absolute pleasure. Oh and I got to sneak a couple of pints in without our lass being there lol. Jabbers as I said before this is a forum, I do hope you take to Sheffield mate, best of luck with it.

Pete

When I came north to Sheffield, I found it a bit of a culture shock at first.

In 1991 the city was a building site, with the venues for the student games, then supertram, but what got to me most was how grey and depressing everything looked after the freshness and green of Worcestershire.

I came on October, just in time for the drabness of winter, eventually I found a job at the university, the weather improved, we moved to Greystones and life seemed brighter.

But, if there was any way I could have gone back home during those first six months, I would have gone back.

I am alright now though, but still find city living, and the drabness, litter issues, a bit hard going some days. The peak district is like a breath of fresh air - although its always seems busy, and the botanical gardens were a bolt hold for me at times.

Aye, it's drabness and downbeatness can get to you. To be fair it's got a little better since the early 90's.

---------- Post added 11-04-2013 at 12:29 ----------

TJC1 love the cross section of society remark, it's strange the perceptions we build up of people on here through the spoken word and the occasional heated one. We on the footy section had a little rendezvous last Friday in Weatherspoons on Eccy Road.

What I will say is none of the people I met, matched their persona on here, they were all excellent company and a pleasure to be round, it was a real eye opener and an absolute pleasure. Oh and I got to sneak a couple of pints in without our lass being there lol. Jabbers as I said before this is a forum, I do hope you take to Sheffield mate, best of luck with it.

Pete

I was referring to myself Pete!:hihi:

How you feeling by the way? hope you're well and good at the moment.

Aye, it's drabness and downbeatness can get to you. To be fair it's got a little better since the early 90's.

---------- Post added 11-04-2013 at 12:29 ----------

I was referring to myself Pete!:hihi:

How you feeling by the way? hope you're well and good at the moment.

I'm not too bad today, have good and bad days, just in process of being medically retired but life goes on.:)

One of anyway, it doesn't need to be the number one to still be a very green place.

Yeah it's green. It's definately greener then say Manchester or Leeds.

Speaking of which was driving on the outskirts of Leeds t'other day and that place (apart from city centre) is a real dump, I'd hate to live in parts of Leeds or support the football team for that matter!

I've lived in three cities now, Birmingham, Sheffield and London. I feel safest in Sheffield, and I love the pubs and access to the countryside and the great fish and chips. We have generally found people fairly friendly here, but there is a bit of a chip on some people's shoulders re "The South". I've lived in some grotty areas and some very posh ones. There does seem to be a "slatternly" attitude towards property maintenance, with a lot of houses having mountains of junk piled up in their front gardens, or dumping it in the local overgrown greenspace. We live near Hillsborough, which is just filthy, either with Saturday night p*ss and vomit or takeaway cartons. You go to places in Europe, there are people sluicing the pavements down every morning. I've also never seen mothers on the school run drinking lager anywhere else either. Have to say though, you get dog poo everywhere.

I've lived in three cities now, Birmingham, Sheffield and London. I feel safest in Sheffield, and I love the pubs and access to the countryside and the great fish and chips. We have generally found people fairly friendly here, but there is a bit of a chip on some people's shoulders re "The South". I've lived in some grotty areas and some very posh ones. There does seem to be a "slatternly" attitude towards property maintenance, with a lot of houses having mountains of junk piled up in their front gardens, or dumping it in the local overgrown greenspace. We live near Hillsborough, which is just filthy, either with Saturday night p*ss and vomit or takeaway cartons. You go to places in Europe, there are people sluicing the pavements down every morning. I've also never seen mothers on the school run drinking lager anywhere else either. Have to say though, you get dog poo everywhere.

Funny you say that.

I'm sat in a ski resort today, there's a pile of vomit at the bus station, it was there on Saturday when I arrived.

And one of the other skiers was saying "be very careful if you ride down one of the green pistes where the locals walk their dogs, you could find that the snow is rather browner than you'd wish"...

I guess that means that the French aren't out every morning washing down the pavements, and that dog waste is a problem everywhere a lot of people own dogs.

You obviously get vomit everywhere too. Nice!

Fair enough. Like I said, It's functional enough and has a few of it's own special qualities. Mostly pales in comparison to other cities though. Give people a clean slate without ties and ask them to rationally pick a mid/large UK city to live in and I'm not sure many would pick Sheffield.

Close to the peak district, excellent sports facilities, very good for climbing, good pubs, mostly pleasant people, reasonable shopping (close to meadowhall if you prefer indoors), very green, pretty cheap housing compared to many places...

Yeah, I can't see any reason someone would want to live here.

I have to add my tuppence in as a southerner who has lived here for nearly two years.

I love Sheffield, have zero regrets moving here and am very happy and fulfilled here. As are my Husband and Son.

I get asked all the time why I chose to live here and 'I must be mad moving from East Anglia (North East Essex to be precise) to Sheffield.

I have met amazing warm friendly people and have an amazing circle of friends who are fun, totally there for me and do not play keeping up with the Jones's, which is primarily a game played mainly down south so see who can accrue the most material possessions!

Where I lived down south, the schools were full of vile bullies (my son is soo happy at his school here) The insular nature of the East Anglians was just peculiar... I was classed as an outsider there because originally I am from Greater London!!??

Everywhere was filthy and the leisure facilities were overpriced and extremely low quality and value.

So take it from me as someone who has lived in other places, be grateful for what is here, if you do not like it complain to the council. I have made a complaint on fixmystreet regarding the dog filth though as it has got pretty bad! Let them know and do something about it!

The rubbish problem is down to cuts IMO as I have noticed a change in the two years I have lived here. Its not littering as the stuff in the gutters in clearly recycling that has been dropped/left for example frozen pizza containers and dog food tins etc.

Also my hours were cut in Essex, and I have a great job now that I love so I do not think the cuts are as bad here with it being a city.

Final note I love the Sheffield humour - people tend to say what they like to your face. Where I lived before the majority tended to be behind your back. Much rather be told how it is actually!

I would never go back and will take the few irritations of litter and traffic any day!

You obviously get the sense of humour,plus you prefer the bluntness,well good on ya and thats why you are happy here,you obviously have accepted people the way they are,and dont expect them to behave in a way you are more familar with.

The problem with Sheffield is that people who live here haven't a good word to say for it. There are those who read local fora when they consider coming here and those who read the letters in the local newspaper to find out what people really think. And what do they see? Whinging, moaning and denegration of their own city.

We're our own worst enemies and have a reputation for being just that.

I have to agree.

If you judge a city by the headlines of the local rag, that would put anybody off coming to Sheffield. It always leads with a story of death, violent assault or burglary or massive job losses. There's never a good news story on the front page at all.

Compare this with the Liverpool Echo, which always blows the trumpet for That Land of Lovable Scouse Rogues, whether it be new shopping centre or other major investment.

I expect their support contributed heavily to Liverpool winning the European City of Culture award a few years back.

If you judge a city by the headlines of the local rag, that would put anybody off coming to Sheffield.
The Telegraph is much more positive and clearly approaches Sheffield from a West Sheff perspective. The Star makes the Bronx look like a step up from Sheffield.

Close to the peak district, excellent sports facilities, very good for climbing, good pubs, mostly pleasant people, reasonable shopping (close to meadowhall if you prefer indoors), very green, pretty cheap housing compared to many places...

Yeah, I can't see any reason someone would want to live here.

Lot's of ways to spin it. It's green, sporty, safe and close to peak district. They are givens.

Shopping is the worst out of all major cities. Meadowhall take it or leave it.

Housing is not especially cheap, only compared to south.

Pubs are OK, nothing special.

People are OK, no friendlier than any other part of the north really.

It's over-run by students and deadsville when they go home.

Sheffield has no particular draw that I can see...maybe proximity to peaks and green space brings people here?