Not impressed with life in Sheffield

I grew up in meersbrook, the top of the park. It's lovely but where I'm living in sharrow is even lovelier, as is nether edge. Nether edge has a great community feel to it, especially around the shops like zeds, oxfam toss etc.

I agree there are a lot of potholes but I just try my best to avoid them. I've been cycling over 10 years and only come off my bike twice so it's really not that bad if you are careful :)

Why?

They are maintained by a private contractor.

As of about 2 months ago...

Actually Leeds is the greenest city in the Country and Birmingham has the greatest tree density.

Stereotypes generally don't become stereotypes without there been some truth in them, and small northern towns like Sheffield are well known for their parochial racist mindsets.

I've never heard that about Leeds or Birmingham before, and having lived in Birmingham it doesn't match with my experience.

---------- Post added 12-04-2013 at 16:48 ----------

Okay, 6 months, I think the point still stands that the council is responsible for the current state. Unless you think 6 months of a 20 year contract is sufficient to fix them all... particularly when that article says

It will take five years to revamp all roads and footpaths in the city and the contract also includes maintenance to a high standard for the following 20 years.

5 years to repair them from the state the council handed them over in.

Sheffield IS the greenest city,with over 2 million trees and 175 woods.

Birmingham Tourist Office boasts it has more canals than Venice, more trees than Paris and more parks than any other European city.

http://www.room-b.co.uk/resources/blog/a-tale-of-ten-cities-unusual-facts-about-10-of-britains-cities

It has this on lots of websites and has been their slogan for over 20 years, as it was when I lived there.

Sheffield is very green, though, and outside the city centre it is attractive. I just wish it had more quality space like the Winter Gardens and the Peace Gardens which I think are brilliant. I also really like the other new buildings like the cheese grater car park, it does give the skyline a lift!

Can't say I like the shopping centre though, definitely not a patch on Birmingham or Liverpool.

Cyclone,

I've noted it's relative greenery and sporty nature. It's proximity to the peaks. That's not in dispute. If all you do is rock climb then you could do worse then live in Sheffield.

The major failing is of course it's city centre. It has no tourism.

That's why it's not the same as Leeds in terms of a University city and is nowhere near as good for shopping as New York and London. Forget about food and restaurants...

But by all means carry on believing that Sheffield rocks, if it makes you feel better about living in Sheffield.

The city centre is in a bad state, it's been in decline for quite a few years now. If that's all you look at then Sheffield is a bad city. Things are finally starting to happen with the delayed building projects, hopefully things will improve.

That would be ignoring all the other positive things about the city. Outside the lack of good shops in the city centre there are a lot of things you don't really get in other cities.

Edited by anywebsite

Where was this, sounds a bit like Jaywick. I too am from Essex (Sarfend) and North East Essex to me is the area around Manningtree and Dedham, which is definitely a nice area. I moved away in the 70s but was back in the area for a visit in 2011, and it was still nice.

Well lectrolove - we lived in Harwich, which although only a few miles from Manningtree and Dedham really got very bad. My Mum still lives in Clacton which although again a few miles from Jaywick (total ghetto) is actually classed as quite upmarket but in my opinion as bad as Jaywick and still under the same council as Harwich and Manningtree.. So well guessed!! They have all now got the same social problems due to high unemployment but very expensive living costs and a very corrupt council.

As its coastal I guess a lot of people think that it is okay - for a visit - I defy almost anyone unlocal to live there! It very much a local village for local people.

There was a bad problem of placing sex offenders and drug addicts as technically was a small population and easier to monitor. Job prospects very poor unless you want to wipe bums in one of the several care homes on a zero hour contract with no holiday or sick pay. As a teacher I used to have to do a 35 mile round trip to Colchester. Until my hours got cut making me virtually redundant. No regrets - I think Sheffielders have to ask why so many people not born here choose to make it their home the grass is not always greener!

I was brought up near Southend and it is much better than North East Essex and have many happy memories as a child. Not been for years though...

So will you say why you get bricked, or not?

No-one else I know ever has?

Well we have only been here since september and it happened to us. 'why?' = good question and I would provide an answer if there was a justification for us mindless vandalism.. my guess is drinks? drugs? boredom? take your pick

Well we have only been here since september and it happened to us. 'why?' = good question and I would provide an answer if there was a justification for us mindless vandalism.. my guess is drinks? drugs? boredom? take your pick
I would say really, really bad luck. I would think that would make everything seem worse. Let the police know (they've clamped down on youths there before, albeit years ago). Try to get to know your neighbours, and have a night in the Sheaf. Of course beer, in moderation(!), is my answer to everything.

just off chesterfield road, in Meersbrook. I accept there is undoubtedly some areas which are pleasant and are not affected by these issues, but I am afraid it has not been a good impression of the City.

Sheffield has always had a major pothole problem because the council just patch the holes up and never bother to do the job correctly hence they get worse.

Meersbrook isn't bad, there are worse areas

As a Sheffielder, I apologise on behalf of those childish and mindless scrubbers that have done this to you and your family. As stated above, I suspect it's just sheer bad luck that you had this happen.

It occurs everywhere, I'm annoyed to say.