Knitters wanted!

We are looking for people to knit for us!

I have recently started a small Online clothing company (http://www.midnightsociety.co.uk) and we're looking to have knitted jumpers as part of our autumn/winter range.

As we do not have the money to order massive quantities, were looking for knitters who can knit designs into jumpers for us on an ongoing basis (as we get orders).

If its something you might be interested in, please let me know! I have contacted knitters across the UK but would prefer to use local people :)

Can I ask how much per hour you would be paying knitters to do this for you? Jumpers/sweaters are often a labour of love for a knitter as they can can take anything from weeks to months to make, depending on the complexity of the pattern. At an hourly wage for a skilled craftsperson, this can often be prohibitive, especially with expensive yarns.

Do you mean a machine knitter?

A good point- about 20 years ago my friend and I, both stay at home mums, knitted mohair intasaria jumpers for a local designer - 2 week deadline for complicated designs at £5 a time. We stopped when we saw our work on sale at £100 at Rackhams. It just didn't seem fair

A good point- about 20 years ago my friend and I, both stay at home mums, knitted mohair intasaria jumpers for a local designer - 2 week deadline for complicated designs at £5 a time. We stopped when we saw our work on sale at £100 at Rackhams. It just didn't seem fair

£5?!?!?!?

I think you've answered your own question here. :D

• 1 month later...

I'm so sorry that its taken me so long to reply! We expect to make little profit on these to begin with due to the cost of yarn and trying to pay a fair amount. I've found it difficult to find any machine knitters but i think they would be made quickly that way! we have had one knitted and the pattern is not particularly complex, it took a day for the lady to knit it and it looked great!

20 years ago £5 wasn't too bad and we both enjoyed our knitting but seeing the amount that people were paying felt like exploitation and took all the pleasure out of it. I get much more pleasure from the charity knitting I do now even though I buy the wool and pay postage

To be honest, the patterns we are using are quite straight forward. The design is knitted in flat and some of our designs are cropped jumpers so they aren't very long. What we're looking for is people who already enjoy knitting who would be interested in doing this to make a bit of extra money from their hobby. We won't need huge amounts, it will just be one now here and there as we sell them with reasonable lengths of time to make them up. Wool would be provided so there wouldn't be any costs for the knitters.

I can definitely see that knitting for charity would be great!

If you've been looking for machine knitters, why haven't you hired any? You must be aware that if your clothing is of a gauge that needs machine knitting, it will not be 'quick and easy' to be handknit.

Do you have your designs/key to hand, as anyone thinking of working for you will need to know what your wanting done, so they can invoice you accordingly.

What is you current rate of pay? and what are you basing it on?

Thanks