Sheffield Transport buses

Is there anyone out there who can confirm/provide details (or has any photos) of buses in Sheffield Transport livery that ran with blue wheels instead of the regular red ones?

I am particularly interested in any Atlanteans running with blue wheels.

Is there anyone out there who can confirm/provide details (or has any photos) of buses in Sheffield Transport livery that ran with blue wheels instead of the regular red ones?

I am particularly interested in any Atlanteans running with blue wheels.

Have a look at this site theres over 5,000 pictures.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/sypte/

Edited by jimmy1975
add more links

The first vehicle with blue wheel hubs was Atlantean/Park Royal No340 which was exhibited at the Earls Court Motor Show in 1963/4. This was also the first in the fleet to have blue moquette seats on both decks. The rest of the vehicles delivered in1964/5 which were Atlantean/Neepsends and Fleetline/Park Royals had normal red wheel hubs and red/beige seats downstairs and red leather upstairs. All the Atlantean/Park Royals and Atlantean/Neepsends together with the "cabbage wagon" Bedford/Craven No1delivered in 1966 had blue wheel hubs and with the exception of No1 had rear wheel trims. The top deck seats were blue leather whilst those on the bottom deck were moquette. Atlantean/Park Royal No192(I think), the one displyed at Earls Court in 1968 had red/cream front wheel hubs whilst the rear ones were red.

The first vehicle with blue wheel hubs was Atlantean/Park Royal No340 which was exhibited at the Earls Court Motor Show in 1963/4. This was also the first in the fleet to have blue moquette seats on both decks. The rest of the vehicles delivered in1964/5 which were Atlantean/Neepsends and Fleetline/Park Royals had normal red wheel hubs and red/beige seats downstairs and red leather upstairs. All the Atlantean/Park Royals and Atlantean/Neepsends together with the "cabbage wagon" Bedford/Craven No1delivered in 1966 had blue wheel hubs and with the exception of No1 had rear wheel trims. The top deck seats were blue leather whilst those on the bottom deck were moquette. Atlantean/Park Royal No192(I think), the one displyed at Earls Court in 1968 had red/cream front wheel hubs whilst the rear ones were red.

Thats fantastic info SUTman; thank you!! [don't suppose you've got any colour pics?]

...finding colour pics is the problem !

I am sure there must be some at the SYTM in the archives - i will try and find out .

I think i have a colour pic somewhere of a single-deck AEC Swift with blue wheels when new ?

340 came to Townhead Street and the rest of the batch 341 to 359 had a different body and red seats if I remember correctly as I was a driver then and it was also unusual as most of the park royal bodied buses were Daimlers with Gardner engines where as 340 was a Leyland

Yes, as I said the Neepsend bodied Atlantean's had red wheels and red/beige seats. 340 was also unusual in that it was the only Atlantean in the fleet to carry an Atlantean badge on the front, situated on the blue band above the windscreen. Sorry I no longer have any photos of these but I did until a few years ago.

did not know the answers but looking at those wonderful old buses brings a lump to the throat great pictures they dont build them like that today

Loved the photo's I spotted a Bristol VR ex STD plodding about in North Wales after they had left Sheffield, my wife thought I had finally flipped when I did a 'U' turn and followed it to Phwelhi were it terminated, the Inspector on duty let me take a look inside I felt a bit like an anorak but it was nice to have a look round a former vehicle I enjoyed driving, and yes the camera was in the digs packed up ready for our return home the following day GRRRRRRR

Loved the photo's I spotted a Bristol VR ex STD plodding about in North Wales after they had left Sheffield, my wife thought I had finally flipped when I did a 'U' turn and followed it to Phwelhi were it terminated, the Inspector on duty let me take a look inside I felt a bit like an anorak but it was nice to have a look round a former vehicle I enjoyed driving, and yes the camera was in the digs packed up ready for our return home the following day GRRRRRRR

There is one that is preserved back in to std livery.

Bristol VRTSL6LX East Lancs 271 OWE271K South Yorkshire Transport Rally 2009

I have a book which goes in depth on Sheffield transport by C C Hall if enyone is interested in it please PM me.

I used to work at queens rd depot/workshop--where C.C.Hall was a technical guy who had the nickname of Charlie Rattles--because part of his duties was to find and eliminate noises (rattles) from trams and latter buses.

very likable chap