Need advice on rehoming please.

Hi guys, so you may have seen my post regarding advice on Rocky my Patterdale Terrier and after lots of advice the best thing for him not me him would be to rehome him, I have place a rehoming advert on here but im at a loss as to where else to (i hate to say advertise) look for his forever home.

Would rescues help with an ad on there page or anything like that and help with homechecking? this is going to be his 4th home and I really want it to be his forever one just don't wanna let him down he's loveable and going to be greatly missed but I have to think of his needs not my own wants. Any advice or help greatfully received.

I know Rotherham dog rescue will put them on their website whilst they stay with the original owners and therefore rehomed from home, I'm sure others must too. i'm glad you are trying to find the best home possible for him. Is he neutered? If not try and get that done before he goes... good luck, I know it can't be an easy decision for you.

I'll try Rotherham dog rescue thanks someone else had said that but wanted to double check would they maybe help with homechecking or anything? He isn't neutered as yet. It's heartbreaking for me but he's still only 16 months old and im his 3rd owner and thats what hurts more its like i'm passing the buck so to speak. he needs some one Patterdale savvy/experienced.

I'm not sure about the home checks but possibly, won't hurt to ring them and ask. Safer I think than taking pot-luck... I would deffo consider the neutering 1st though, stop someone having him as a stud, possibly living in a shed with no walks or cuddles :-(

I think that the I need a home website will put them on also.

There's a patterdale terrier rescue website, might be worth contacting them? They'd know the sort of dog and be best advised to help find a suitable home I would have thought.... plus people looking specifically for that kind of dog would look there for one, good luck!

http://www.patterdaleterrierrescue.co.uk

Just reading the website now, I love this quote: ''They also have to be on “mental alert throughout their walk”, keeping their terrier in vision and scanning the horizon. They watch their terriers for the slightest behavioural change, to be able to check them before committal, bring them back into check and distract using their relationship. Clipped on to the lead to avoid them flying off to chase, meet or greet.''

So it's like owning a tiny lurcher then? Because this is me on every walk :D

Edited by vwkittie

Ok so this wasn't really an urgent issue but he's now started to hurt my female yorkie who's 7 making her yelp I think it's because he wants to play but he's hurting Meg it isn't fair on either of them. I now feel I have no option but to rehome him asap. Thanks vwkittie I will contact them.

Ok so this wasn't really an urgent issue but he's now started to hurt my female yorkie who's 7 making her yelp I think it's because he wants to play but he's hurting Meg it isn't fair on either of them. I now feel I have no option but to rehome him asap. Thanks vwkittie I will contact them.

Do you have a crate? don't be afraid to separate them and to crate him, just make sure that he gets out for regular toilet breaks and plenty of good walks to make him tired, I know that you want to re-home him but you still have him to deal with while he's there.

I've been in contact with patterdale rescue and they're willing to help me, he'll stay with me though and i've got to phone them and have a chat but hopefully by doing it this way he'll get someone thats experienced with his breed. I'm buying him new toys constantly as he chews them too bits. hes got 3 nylon bones he chews on and thats about it his crate has no tray so has a feather quilts fluffed up in their while im out. Still heartbroken at the thought of him going to a new home but relieved at the same time that im getting help to find him a new forever home. thanks guys.

That's great news I hope they can find him a suitable home soon, it'll be the best thing for him and you I think :)

Your doing the best thing for him so try not to feel guilty :)

So i've spoken to a lovely lady from Patterdale Rescue today and shes assured me what i already knew hes not aggressive hes a typical Patterdale and that they will definitely find him a suitable home whilst he stays with me i feel so relieved he isnt going to just end up with someone like me rally thats overwhelmed by him bt at the same time love him so much! I'm getting him neutered, vaccinated as although ive been assured hes had his vaccs ive no paperwork, and also getting him chipped. Although im still upset at having to rehome him im so relieved that he's going to get the best home possible as soo many animals dont. Thankyou to everyone for their advice and I'll keep you all updated on Rocky.