Margaret Thatcher Thread - Read the first post before posting

Because they dont need more milk, they need more vegatables, and fruit.

Your just making things up now! Milk is good for you,especially full fat milk. Just like anything else. Don't have too much of it.

It's more the principal of taking free drinks away from school children. She didn't stop it because she thought it would be bad for their diet. She did it because she thought it was a waste of money.

Because they dont need more milk, they need more vegatables, and fruit.

Two points - you have no idea whether they need 'more milk' or not.

- you have no evidence whatsoever to suggest that free school milk would be 'bad' for children.

Your just making things up now! Milk is good for you,especially full fat milk. Just like anything else. Don't have too much of it.

It's more the principal of taking free drinks away from school children. She didn't stop it because she thought it would be bad for their diet. She did it because she thought it was a waste of money.

Kids are more likely to be too fat, so they are getting enough overall. There are active campaigns to get children to eat more veg and fruit.

Milk and dairy foods - These should be eaten in moderation

- you have no evidence whatsoever to suggest that free school milk would be 'bad' for children.

Any evidence that children are suffering from malnutrition because milk is now charged for?

They still get free school milk below a certain age, it is not a problem. Why do you think it is?

She cut free school milk rather than make direct cuts to education, a fair sacrifice I'd say.

Any evidence that children are suffering from malnutrition because milk is now charged for?

None whatsoever and it was never my intention to suggest otherwise. I was merely pointing out the obvious errors El Cids position.

---------- Post added 14-04-2013 at 12:22 ----------

They still get free school milk below a certain age, it is not a problem. Why do you think it is?

I never suggested I thought it was a problem, I was just pointing out the obvious errors in what you said.

Such a shame she didn't want a full state funeral, I think she deserved one.

Such a shame she didn't want a full state funeral, I think she deserved one.

Absolutely!

I shall have a little cry on wednesday and will only be raising the flag at my house to half mast.

Free school milk for children in secondary schools was stopped by the Wilson government. This article suggests that stopping it for younger children wasn't Maggie's doing:

in 1971, Lady Thatcher, who was education secretary under Sir Edward Heath, ended free school milk for children over the age of seven. Although the move gave her the nickname "Thatcher, Thatcher, milk-snatcher" and cemented the public view that she would ruthlessly cut spending, documents released recently suggest she had actually fought to save the grants. She was overruled by Sir Edward..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1507023/Thatcher-the-snatcher-may-not-have-been-wrong.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/uk/2000/uk_confidential/1095121.stm

I hated the stuff, it was usually warm and tasted slighly off.

Free school milk for children in secondary schools was stopped by the Wilson government. This article suggests that stopping it for younger children wasn't Maggie's doing:

in 1971, Lady Thatcher, who was education secretary under Sir Edward Heath, ended free school milk for children over the age of seven. Although the move gave her the nickname "Thatcher, Thatcher, milk-snatcher" and cemented the public view that she would ruthlessly cut spending, documents released recently suggest she had actually fought to save the grants. She was overruled by Sir Edward..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1507023/Thatcher-the-snatcher-may-not-have-been-wrong.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/uk/2000/uk_confidential/1095121.stm

I hated the stuff, it was usually warm and tasted slighly off.

I never drank it as it made me sick but carrying the milk crates around the classrooms kept me fit !

Kids are more likely to be too fat, so they are getting enough overall. There are active campaigns to get children to eat more veg and fruit.

I grew up in the 80's, I can't remember any campaign to get kids to eat more fruit and veg?!?! What are you on about?