Margaret Thatcher Thread - Read the first post before posting

Show me the process that would have caused house prices to rise even without labour, lowing interest rates, demolishing houses, increasing the population, not building houses, buy to let, claiming that boom and bust was thing of the past.

I've already explained how the culture in the city was relevant. I've also given you a link from a Tory paper, a link that traces current problems in the City back to 1986. All you need to do now is make the connection that it was banks with HQs in the city that did the lending, leveraged the mortgages and took massive risks. They are part of the story of the housing bubble whether you like it or not.

Name a single good thing that thatcher did?

got rid of school milk...kids hated it

improved the air quality in sheffield....by shutting the steelworks and orgreave coking plant

tidied up the lower don valley and made way for meadowhall...

made going to football safer...

and gave away nice council houses...

You mean like the respect and compassion the striking miners showed to the non striking miner.

Yes.

It's funny what can happen to someone when they are threatened with having their world pulled from beneath their feet and you're forced into a corner, isn't it? It's a bit like being bullied.

---------- Post added 12-04-2013 at 08:40 ----------

got rid of school milk...kids hated it

improved the air quality in sheffield....by shutting the steelworks and orgreave coking plant

tidied up the lower don valley and made way for meadowhall...

made going to football safer...

and gave away nice council houses...

I loved my milk at 'playschool', and my free biscuit!

How building Meadowhall can be classed as tiding somewhere up is beyond me! Plus, it's slowly causing the demise of the city center.

The football was made safer at the cost of 96 Liverpool fans.

Name a single good thing that thatcher did?

Ruin this country.:gag:

I've already explained how the culture in the city was relevant. I've also given you a link from a Tory paper, a link that traces current problems in the City back to 1986. All you need to do now is make the connection that it was banks with HQs in the city that did the lending, leveraged the mortgages and took massive risks. They are part of the story of the housing bubble whether you like it or not.

No answer then as usual, didn't the bank of England have the remit to control inflation, it’s a pity Gordon Brown removed house price inflation from those figure, if he had left them alone the Bank of England would have stopped the bubble by increasing interest rates. You simply can't blame Gordon Browns bad choices on Margret Thatcher.

You mean like the respect and compassion the striking miners showed to the non striking miner.

You mean those who betrayed their own for selfish reasoms and, incidentally, the Nottinghamshire miners who helped her defeat the rest were the first to be shut. Perhaps ypu would like to explain to the families of those who committed suicide due to her your wonderful philosophy. My friend knew somebody who actually did and I know someone who lost their business. Hey but never mind how many lives she ruined or ended lets all contribute to her funeral whether we object or not - that's democracy for you

Yes.

It's funny what can happen to someone when they are threatened with having their world pulled from beneath their feet and you're forced into a corner, isn't it? It's a bit like being bullied.

Yes and that’s precisely what the NUM did, it bullied miners into strike action and intimidated those that wouldn't do as they were told.

I’ve been made redundant several times and at no time did I feel the need to kick someone’s head in, smash their window, intimidated women and children. Something these bave NUM members did to anyone that wouldn't support their cause.

Yes and that’s precisely what the NUM did, it bullied miners into strike action and intimidated those that wouldn't do as they were told.

I’ve been made redundant several times and at no time did I feel the need to kick someone’s head in, smash their window, intimidated women and children. Something these bave NUM members did to anyone that wouldn't support their cause.

So have I but when you got nade redundant you got paid, when you are on strike you get no money

Why is this a good statistic?? Wouldn't you rather live in a country that can afford to house 42% of it's population??

Private ownership is a relatively new thing for a large proportion of the population.

Owning your own home seems to be a British thing. Renting properties is the norm throughout the most of Europe.

I would rather live in a country in which everyone that can work does work, one in which people can afford to own their own home and take pride in their own home and neighbourhood.

Striking is always the last resort. It's not like they were in for a large pay off, like I got when I was made redundant. I was left with options and high hopes of an alternative life when I got made redundant.

---------- Post added 12-04-2013 at 09:00 ----------

I would rather live in a country in which everyone that can work does work, one in which people can afford to own their own home and take pride in their own home and neighbourhood.

I agree. Thatcher made millions unemployed and created the reserve army of workers, that required benefits and couldn't afford a mortgage.

Whatever policies were carried out by the government she led does not take away the fact that she was a remarkable woman.

For a woman to rise from an humble background to lead the Conservative party and win 3 elections was a massive achievement for a woman at that time.

Striking is always the last resort. It's not like they were in for a large pay off, like I got when I was made redundant. I was left with options and high hopes of an alternative life when I got made redundant.

I agree. Thatcher made millions unemployed and created the reserve army of workers, that required benefits and couldn't afford a mortgage.

But she didn't end a country in which everyone that could work did work; she didn’t degrease the amount of people that could afford to own their own home. The mines had no future, coal had no future and a country with unions in charge had no future.

---------- Post added 12-04-2013 at 09:14 ----------

So have I but when you got nade redundant you got paid, when you are on strike you get no money

I didn't, not everyone that is made redundant gets a generous pay off, when a private company goes under there’s usually no money left to pay anyone off.

---------- Post added 12-04-2013 at 09:16 ----------

The NUM was paying its member to travel the country intimidating miners that wanted to work.

Edited by MrSmith