Margaret Thatcher Thread - Read the first post before posting

Translation: I cannot make an argument so I resort to nitpicking grammar. I notice you fail to address the quote again.

I was under the impression it was the USA banks that were giving out the sub-prime mortgages with absolutely no regard to how they would be paid back, I didn't think it was such a major issue in the UK.

We may not have had the NINJA loan problems that they had in the USA, but our mortgages are bought and sold on by the financial institutions just like they are in the USA. So the banks got their money back even before we come close to paying them back.

The people and the institutions that were handing out the mortgages were not the people taking the risk of the mortgage not being paid back, their only perceived risk was not issuing enough mortgages to make meet their targets.

"We have more of the same and have only had more of the same since she left power - feathering their own nests whilst the gap between the richest and the poorest grows ever wider.

I shed a tear today. It was not for the passing of Thatcher. It was for the passing of my beautiful country, as it used to be. A country where we cared about the least fortunate and felt they deserved dignity, and where greed was not considered a 'virtue'."

Aye, I shed a tear also for our beautiful Country - as it used to be. Sadly Blair and his acolytes "open door" policy has put it to ruin.

Angel.

some of the comments are disgusting, at the end of the day an old lady has passed away and has a family thats mourning her, regardless of who she was and what she did or didnt do, not everyone will have agreed with or supported her but some small level of respect should be shown to someone who has died, and as for this ding dong rubbish, why wasnt something like that played for the likes of myra hindley when she died...someone who was truly evil rather than someone who at the end of the day at least tried to help the country she was born in wether it was right or wrong!

some of the comments are disgusting, at the end of the day an old lady has passed away and has a family thats mourning her, regardless of who she was and what she did or didnt do, not everyone will have agreed with or supported her but some small level of respect should be shown to someone who has died, and as for this ding dong rubbish, why wasnt something like that played for the likes of myra hindley when she died...someone who was truly evil rather than someone who at the end of the day at least tried to help the country she was born in wether it was right or wrong!

Hear hear.

I would rather live in a country in which everyone that can work does work, one in which people can afford to own their own home and take pride in their own home and neighbourhood.

Well you're in the wrong country then. Thanks to her we have little or no manufacturing industry, high unemployment and very few care about their neighbourhood especially in the housing estates

---------- Post added 12-04-2013 at 20:49 ----------

But she didn't end a country in which everyone that could work did work; she didn’t degrease the amount of people that could afford to own their own home. The mines had no future, coal had no future and a country with unions in charge had no future.

---------- Post added 12-04-2013 at 09:14 ----------

I didn't, not everyone that is made redundant gets a generous pay off, when a private company goes under there’s usually no money left to pay anyone off.

---------- Post added 12-04-2013 at 09:16 ----------

The NUM was paying its member to travel the country intimidating miners that wanted to work.

You would have got unemployment benefit and your last statement is a lie

Well you're in the wrong country then. Thanks to her we have little or no manufacturing industry, high unemployment and very few care about their neighbourhood especially in the housing estates

---------- Post added 12-04-2013 at 20:49 ----------

You would have got unemployment benefit and your last statement is a lie

Wrong. We produce more or less the same amount of steel as we did, and still produce an awful lot of cars albeit for foreign companies to a far higher standard than back in the 70s. We probably do other stuff well but don't have loads of unskilled factory jobs like we did back then. Do you want your kids working on a production line doing something boring like putting the top on toothpaste tube ? I bet you have higher hopes for them.

Housing ? In 13 years, labour just made it worse. Try to think outside party politics and move on. 23 years since she left office !!!

This would be better in the R.I.P. thread. I share you view about respecting the dead but this thread is about discussing her legacy. Discussing her legacy in a negative way is not disrespect.

This would be better in the R.I.P. thread. I share you view about respecting the dead but this thread is about discussing her legacy. Discussing her legacy in a negative way is not disrespect.

every thatcher thread has ended up the same so i dont suppose it matters

Yes they have been around for a long time. The difference is with both is the massive expansion of their use. Interst-only was very popular in the 80s bubble. The 00s bubble was characterised by self-certs too.

This is interesting.

House prices by Prime Minister: from Eden to Cameron

Which PM oversaw the highest level of UK housebuilding?

Edited by MrSmith

My grandmother despised Mrs Thatcher, she lived the last years of her life living with my auntie and her family and she spent her final days surrounded by her family and friends. I guess there are some things that money can't buy.

Edited by websters gue