Amey destroying the verges and central reservations

Stupid time of the year to be doing it as well, just as the birds are looking for nesting sites.

nesting - in the middle of a dual carridgeway?

nesting - in the middle of a dual carridgeway?

Yes, in general, although I've never specifically looked on that section of road. The central reservation is probably very good, few people, and cats are put off by the traffic.

"Calm down dear" it will all grow back.

Unfortunately, they have done such an unprofessional job, it will probably kill it. Trees and shrubs will certainly grow back from clean cuts. These have just been mangled with some sort of mechanical turkey carver by the looks of things. If a landscape gardener did that in my garden, I wouldn't pay them.

Hang on, as a council tax payer the A61 central reservation is, sort of, my garden!

Stupid time of the year to be doing it as well, just as the birds are looking for nesting sites.

They've been doing the Park Square work for many months now, dunno about all of the others.

Council will never do right in some people's eyes - I'm waiting for a thread where someone says that the council in Leeds cuts their trees prettier!

I work for a company which does construction work that might impact on wildlife. We are required to do specific checks for different flora and fauna - including bats, badgers, otters, newts, toads, etc, etc, as well as rare plants. Work must be planned and undertaken to avoid disturbing them, including acceptable times when work can be carried out. Conversely, we must ensure that invasive plants are not spread.

I would be shocked if Amey (and SCC as their employer) were not required to follow similar procedures.

contnent removed

Edited by valderama

Caused a massive queue of traffic up Ecclesall Road yesterday, I was wondering what the heck they were doing! "Butchered" comes to mind.

Please don't cut back Hunters Bar roundabout though! I've seen homeless people sleeping in there. Bit of an odd place to kip but at least it's secluded. I know there is a thread on this somewhere.

yer there are lots of veres around the city and on traffic islands iyts the same on the pavement under a bridge near the wicker it started with one a couple of years ago, when there was one car parked there now there is a good half dozen fighting to get on there, the roundabout at park square as lots of cars parked on it, yet in the beginging there was one parking spot and that said for police vekicles only so they cold race off catching naughty boys who ride around in cars they have stolen usually from the manor

Amey are making access holes at the base of lamp posts as part of the upgrade to LED lights.

Do the people doing the work actually have any experience in landscaping judgeing by the messi saw near the tax offices today id say no totally not nessesary to "prune?" shrubs in this manner. What did they use?

In my opinion the verges look much better, the litter caught up in them has been removed, and the shrubs will benefit from a good haircut - they will soon grow back, and be stronger for it.

---------- Post added 09-04-2013 at 12:52 ----------

Caused a massive queue of traffic up Ecclesall Road yesterday, I was wondering what the heck they were doing! "Butchered" comes to mind.

Please don't cut back Hunters Bar roundabout though! I've seen homeless people sleeping in there. Bit of an odd place to kip but at least it's secluded. I know there is a thread on this somewhere.

I doubt if they will cut this back - it is rather nice.