Can a full service cause an ECU fuel pump problem?

My Audi A4 2.5Tdi had been running absolutely fine with no problems whatsoever. A couple of weeks ago it went in to the garage for it's routine service (air filter, fuel filter, etc etc)

When I went to pick my car up on the Thursday, the mechanics asked me if I was going any long distance over the weekend. I replied that I wasn't. They told me to drive carefully and that if I smelled fuel or oil to go back there immediately. But in any case I should call back on Tuesday at my earliest convenience as they needed to check things over. Apparently something to do with a seal or something they'd changed. I agreed to go back on Tuesday morning (it was B/H weekend so couldn't go on Monday)

Anyway, fifteen minutes after collecting it from the service, driving down the motorway, I went to accelerate and the engine died on me. Only light on the dashboard was the glow plug system light (it looks like a little spring)

I got towed to the garage where I had it serviced. They had the car for several days, during which time I made several calls to try and find out what was happening. During one call, one of the mechanics said that they weren't sure what was happening - or if the problem was actually linked to work that they had done, so they were going to get an expert in.

Expert came in with diagnostic tools. Apparently these mobile ones weren't sophisticated enough so the car was then moved to the expert's base in Conisborough. I've just called my regular garage today (for the umpteenth time this last ten days) to be told that apparently the expert has diagnosed fuel pump ECU.

My question is: Is there any chance that the work done at the service could potentially have been linked to the problem I'm now having? (the fuel filter was changed as part of the service). Or are they completely and totally seperate and the problem would have happened regardless? It just seems very coincidental that the car was running perfectly and then as soon as it went into the garage, it suddenly developed a problem.

Also, if it is the garage's fault, I don't see why I should have to pay for the work to be carried out. Had I not taken the car in for a service then it would still be fine. But because they've had the car transported to the expert's base, it would seem that I have to pay the expert directly for any work that is completed and therefore the garage can essentially just wriggle out of accepting any responsibility.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give me.

Thats a weird thing to go with a normal service, unless they bashed it during the service.

I had similar symptoms from a diesel filter change.

The problem came from air entering the fuel system through a bad seal in the diesel filter housing.

The garage knew there was a fuel leak. So it must be something they done

Thats a weird thing to go with a normal service, unless they bashed it during the service.

I had similar symptoms from a diesel filter change.

The problem came from air entering the fuel system through a bad seal in the diesel filter housing.

Interesting. So there could well be a link then.

They did mention something about changing a seal when I went to collect it after the service. That's when they told me to come back if I smelled fuel at any point.

The garage knew there was a fuel leak. So it must be something they done

That's a very interesting point. Thanks.

Damaging the (fueling) ecu... no. Damaging the fuel pump potentially.

As above, air in the system could potentially cause the pump to work incorrectly.

If its the pump I would be inclinded to think the garage pays for. If it is the ecu, then I would say luck of the draw.

It was fine before you took it there.

They worked on it.

It's now broken.

I'd say they need to sort it out. But I'd be a bit concerned they've decided to move the vehicle from their premises to another. I'd be asking their manager for a full, written explanation of what's happened and what they're doing now. These things tend to spiral - get something in writing from them before it all goes horrible.

This is a common issue on the 407. The fuel filter is a self contained "box", not a filter that sits in a fuel bowl. If you use a cheap one or don't fit or prime the system properly you get similar problems.

Make sure you get a diagnostic with proper Audi tools, from someone who knows Audis.

I do Peugeot diagnostics and the recent third party diagnosis' I've had to correctly sort are:

Car cut out. Generic code reader said high pressure fuel pump. Garage and AA recommended new HP fuel pump (Approx £300).

Actual fault: sticking fuel pump in the fuel tank. Cost - zero - tap it with a soft mallet and it works again, and don't use Morrisons fuel. Possibly replace in-tank pump at £70.

Second one: ABS / ESP error on screen. garage diagnosed ABS unit faulty and should be replaced.

Actual fault: Dirty fuse. Replaced fuse and cleaned fuse socket with electrical cleaner.

Damaging the (fueling) ecu... no. Damaging the fuel pump potentially.

As above, air in the system could potentially cause the pump to work incorrectly.

If its the pump I would be inclinded to think the garage pays for. If it is the ecu, then I would say luck of the draw.

I've just found out that it's the pump that needs replacing. All I know is that the car was running fine when I took it in. The garage have just phoned me. The expert says he can get it fixed tomorrow but that will cost between £1700 and £2000!!!

He says the expert is looking at getting the pump sent away and reconditioned - which would work out cheaper. My issue now is that I believe there's a tangible link between the service and the problem - the garage that did the service should pay for the work to be completed. What do you think?

It was fine before you took it there.

They worked on it.

It's now broken.

I'd say they need to sort it out. But I'd be a bit concerned they've decided to move the vehicle from their premises to another. I'd be asking their manager for a full, written explanation of what's happened and what they're doing now. These things tend to spiral - get something in writing from them before it all goes horrible.

They've already dropped a hint that it could have been linked to something they did. I have witnesses for that. The manager's a nice enough guy, and we've got on well in the past - indeed I've referred alot of business onto them - but I've got a feeling that they're not wanting to accept any responsibility for this.

This is a common issue on the 407. The fuel filter is a self contained "box", not a filter that sits in a fuel bowl. If you use a cheap one or don't fit or prime the system properly you get similar problems.

Make sure you get a diagnostic with proper Audi tools, from someone who knows Audis.

I do Peugeot diagnostics and the recent third party diagnosis' I've had to correctly sort are:

Car cut out. Generic code reader said high pressure fuel pump. Garage and AA recommended new HP fuel pump (Approx £300).

Actual fault: sticking fuel pump in the fuel tank. Cost - zero - tap it with a soft mallet and it works again, and don't use Morrisons fuel. Possibly replace in-tank pump at £70.

Second one: ABS / ESP error on screen. garage diagnosed ABS unit faulty and should be replaced.

Actual fault: Dirty fuse. Replaced fuse and cleaned fuse socket with electrical cleaner.

I don't understand alot of what you've said, sorry. I'm not big on technical.

I know the fuel pump has gone - and I'm pretty sure there's a link between the recent service and the problem I now have.

I don't understand alot of what you've said, sorry. I'm not big on technical.

I know the fuel pump has gone - and I'm pretty sure there's a link between the recent service and the problem I now have.

Sorry, what I was trying to say is that its not always right that a "big" part has gone, these were the two examples I used.

Your fuel pump may appear faulty, but it may be the ancillary parts feeding it that might be at fault.

I can't speak for your make of car, but from my experience, fuel pumps don't just "go" unless you've been running the car on non-standard fuel (i.e. vegetable oil) or Morrisons diesel (which has a higher %age of biodiesel in its mix which some cars don't like), or the pump is coming to the end of it's life - around 150,000 miles from my experience.

I had a similar fault only last week (Focus diesel). The engine would lose all power and the glow plug light would flash. Turned out to be the cam sensor, £33 and 10 mins to fix.

Sorry, what I was trying to say is that its not always right that a "big" part has gone, these were the two examples I used.

Your fuel pump may appear faulty, but it may be the ancillary parts feeding it that might be at fault.

I can't speak for your make of car, but from my experience, fuel pumps don't just "go" unless you've been running the car on non-standard fuel (i.e. vegetable oil) or Morrisons diesel (which has a higher %age of biodiesel in its mix which some cars don't like), or the pump is coming to the end of it's life - around 150,000 miles from my experience.

It's an Audi 2.5Tdi Sports convertible. I understand that things fail - but fifteen minutes after picking it up from a service which could have resulted in air being put in the system and it dies? I must stress again that the car was running beautifully before it went into the garage. It only went in for a routine service.

I had a similar fault only last week (Focus diesel). The engine would lose all power and the glow plug light would flash. Turned out to be the cam sensor, £33 and 10 mins to fix.

My car died and wouldn't start again. It turned over but wouldn't fire. We had to be recovered from the motorway.

Apparently it's been diagnostically tested and it's coming up with the fuel pump. Issue now is...who should pay? The car is now with someone I don't know - as it was moved there by my garage. They're the ones that, I assume, will be completing the work. The people I have the issue with are the garage where it was first taken. I have reason to believe that they're the ones responsible for the problem.

Routine service shouldn't involve the pump, but the garage telling to to stop if you smell fuel and bring car back on Tuesday tells you they notice a fuel leak, bodge it up and hope to get it sorted on Tuesday, I would have a sit down with manager and full explanation and what proportion he is willing to pay