RIP Maggie Thatcher..

Hated her politics, but admired the woman.

She was steadfast in her beliefs even if I disagreed with them, and I can't imagine her putting up with all the corruption around today. For good or ill, she made a difference.

When Garret Fitzgerald was Taoseach of the Republic of Ireland during the Troubles he had a meeting with Thatcher & tried to persuade her to invest money in jobs, housing & infrastructure in Northern Ireland in an effort to reduce the level of violence by providing hope of a normal future for people.

In his autobiography he stated that ' her reply convinced me that she was not a Prime Minister for the UK, she wasn't even a Prime Minister for England, she was a Prime Minister for the South East of England'.

Pretty much summed her up I think, & explained the negative attitude toward Industry compared with the overly positive attitude toward the City.

Look how well that's worked out for everyone!

She wasn't everybody's cup of tea, but I certainly had a great deal of respect for the woman.

RIP Margaret Thatcher.

Regards

Richard

There will undoubtedly be lots of media coverage about Margaret Thatcher and the miners strike etc.

An opportunity for some of the younger members on Sheffield Forum to watch and make up their own minds about whether she was a force for good or not.

Real modern history which has a considerable baring on the world we live in today.

I can't think of anything good to say about this woman.

Though I don't like Blunkett, I think he summed her up quite well.

His words sound quite measured.

Yet again a large number of posts have been removed for reason including crass insensitivity, being off topic and bickering with other users or quoting deleted posts many of which were crassly insensitive.

Regardless of your opinion of her this is not the place for arguing about her policies or arranging celebrations of her death.

I am not going to issue further warnings further infractions will result in bans.

Edited by mort

Rest in peace The Iron Lady x x

If you wish to comment on moderation or related issues your posts will be removed. Take it to the helpdesk please

The bunting is out in many pit villages, may she R.I.P, but wont be missed.

Edited by TAT

I met Mrs Thatcher a couple of times, as snooty as she sometimes appeared to `us northerners` what a sound down to earth woman she was and could give many a so called hard , man a run for his money. But ask your self this, which other Prime Minister has ever sat down drinking with a load of squaddies who had just done a brilliant job in the Iranian Embassy. Though many wont agree, she did more for this country than anyone indeed than any other Prime Minister, such as the fact it is almost certain the Falkland Islanders would be speaking Spanish now had it not been for Mrs Thatcher.

I just heard some one saying good riddance.... how shameful.

Regardless of your politics, The Iron Lady is dead all, the time for criticism and insult is now gone because nothing matters anymore, have a heart everyone, have simple human respect for her and let her rest in peace.

A young Thatcher schools us on how a free society should be run (note that, like many prime ministers and presidents, she departed somewhat from the radicalism of her younger convictions)...

Yet again a large number of posts have been removed for reason including crass insensitivity, being off topic and bickering with other users or quoting deleted posts many of which were crassly insensitive.

Regardless of your opinion of her this is not the place for arguing about her policies or arranging celebrations of her death.

I am not going to issue further warnings further infractions will result in bans.

I don't remember this being a problem when Jan Wilson died. It seems folk could keep political sniping out of paying condolences.

Anyhow. RIP Maggie. First and only Female Prime Minister of the UK.