Fish & chips with gravy!!

Fish and gravy - it`s just wrong

Its like dipping fried bread in your tea,or serving ice-cream covered in hot treacle and custard.

That's because 99% population call them by a different name,and rightly so as they are not cakes.It is similar if you ask for a pikelet or some spice.Sheffield is Victorian with its vernacular dialect.It is endearing in a quaint way and visitors from London and elsewhere always snigger.

In Sheffield always have been, always will be bread cakes, son in law from Barnsley calls them teacakes. I try to tell him they have currants in, Manchester it's barm cakes, some call em baps. As has been said go to London & ask for a chip or cake butty, they haven't got a clue.

Our way of pronouncing is not quaint its how we talk, a breadcake is just that, a chip shop is a chippy or chip hoil.

Crumpets get called pikelets, I was always brought up calling the 1st slice of bread in the loaf the knobbler. Get an uncut loaf half it, hollow it out fill with chips, cob & chips =heaven.

When we were kids always went to shop for a bag of spice, like you say lots don't get it but we do.

In Sheffield always have been, always will be bread cakes, son in law from Barnsley calls them teacakes. I try to tell him they have currants in, Manchester it's barm cakes, some call em baps. As has been said go to London & ask for a chip or cake butty, they haven't got a clue.

Our way of pronouncing is not quaint its how we talk, a breadcake is just that, a chip shop is a chippy or chip hoil.

Crumpets get called pikelets, I was always brought up calling the 1st slice of bread in the loaf the knobbler. Get an uncut loaf half it, hollow it out fill with chips, cob & chips =heaven.

When we were kids always went to shop for a bag of spice, like you say lots don't get it but we do.

Try that malarky in London or`Bristol and you will laughed out the chippy.Do you travel far from Sheffield?Sheffield has a quaint accent,and that's polite.Consider the passage now in bold.

Get an uncut loaf half it, hollow it out fill with chips, cob & chips

and beans.

Try that malarky in London or`Bristol and you will laughed out the chippy.Do you travel far from Sheffield?Sheffield has a quaint accent,and that's polite.Consider the passage now in bold.

As I said we tried it in London some years ago, but they are so not with it had no idea, we even described what a fishcake was to the lass. We were not laughed out of the the chippy, you seem to think Londoners are superior to us, trust me there no I can only name you one good Londoner my mum god bless her.

And she said it was a dump and would never go back, people seem to have this pre conceived idea that its the place to be seen, my arse, its a right dump. As for Bristol they could knock it down & build slums that would improve it, shocking place, oh I've been to quite a lot of places in my years and we even have passports and when I could; we went to foreign countries.

I take it you're not a native Sheffielder (well you write as though not), lots of people slag this place off but choose to live here, why because it's great and the majority of us are friendly and welcoming , would you get that down South I considerably think not. Yorkshire folk especially Sheffield folk are very friendly as a rule.

What is there to consider? it's very condescending of you to say we talk quaint, we are not backward up here, it was established a long time ago that people in Sheffield spoke the best Queens English. She is often seen down the cliffe with a fag on, and a pint of John Smiths, giving it large.

---------- Post added 08-04-2013 at 10:37 ----------

and beans.

Can't remember having beans in it but may have done, would have imagined just as nice.

Was it Michael Portillo who was in a northern chip shop and asked for 'some of that guacamole' on the side of his fish and chips. He'd spotted another customer getting a side of mushy peas :hihi:

Fish and Chips with gravy seems to be very popular with West Yorkshire folk. There is a chip shop in Hornsea that does a Wessie Belly Buster ... mini fish, chips, mushy peas and gravy in a buttered bap ... I kid you not!!!

Get an uncut loaf half it, hollow it out fill with chips, cob & chips =heaven

We used to do this sometimes for dinner at school from the local chippy, mmmm

it was lovely.

Mushy Peas are favoured by Sheffield people as they have difficulty keeping the round peas on their knife.

Mushy Peas are favoured by Sheffield people as they have difficulty keeping the round peas on their knife.

At least we do eat with a knife and fork, not just a fork !

The gravy is supposed to just go on the chips, that happens in every town and city in this country on this planet, P.S, I have ordered Cod or Haddock from a chippy but never a mini fish, do they come in a short skirt.:loopy:

No short skirts in my local chippy :( A few short tempers though..,.

---------- Post added 08-04-2013 at 11:27 ----------

Was it Michael Portillo who was in a northern chip shop and asked for 'some of that guacamole' on the side of his fish and chips. He'd spotted another customer getting a side of mushy peas :hihi:

I believe this was Peter Mandelson, visiting chippy in his then constituency (Hartlepool?)