Fish & chips with gravy!!

I've heard the stereotype but do they really not have mushy peas, curry or gravy on chips in London chip shops? My GF just moved down there. Wat do?

They serve meat pies with 'liquor', which I think is a sort of white parsley sauce :gag:

sorry they serve chip with gravy in most of the places i have visited over the years

never had chip though in eastwood must admit

been to southend where they serve chip with gravy

seems peculiar to you

Eastwood Notts?

As I said we tried it in London some years ago, but they are so not with it had no idea, we even described what a fishcake was to the lass. We were not laughed out of the the chippy, you seem to think Londoners are superior to us, trust me there no I can only name you one good Londoner my mum god bless her.

And she said it was a dump and would never go back, people seem to have this pre conceived idea that its the place to be seen, my arse, its a right dump. As for Bristol they could knock it down & build slums that would improve it, shocking place, oh I've been to quite a lot of places in my years and we even have passports and when I could; we went to foreign countries.

I take it you're not a native Sheffielder (well you write as though not), lots of people slag this place off but choose to live here, why because it's great and the majority of us are friendly and welcoming , would you get that down South I considerably think not. Yorkshire folk especially Sheffield folk are very friendly as a rule.

What is there to consider? it's very condescending of you to say we talk quaint, we are not backward up here, it was established a long time ago that people in Sheffield spoke the best Queens English. She is often seen down the cliffe with a fag on, and a pint of John Smiths, giving it large.

---------- Post added 08-04-2013 at 10:37 ----------

Can't remember having beans in it but may have done, would have imagined just as nice.

It is nice to see a well balanced assessment of a city,and good to see an underlying sense of humour.Quaint means attractively old-fashioned so its hardly the insult you feel it is,and as you implied Sheffield is not at the cutting edge which I think is rather healthy.

It is nice to see a well balanced assessment of a city,and good to see an underlying sense of humour.Quaint means attractively old-fashioned so its hardly the insult you feel it is,and as you implied Sheffield is not at the cutting edge which I think is rather healthy.

I know what quaint means, just not a word I like very much that's all

I'd pack it in mate if I were you, you seem to be out of your depth and you're not making much sense!

If you post a list of words you dislike I will avoid using them.It is a rather juvenile form of censorship.

Hahahaha omg! I had this discussion with a bloke I was working with today he went for my lunch he thought I was really odd having fish and chips with gravy!

chips and gravy - fine, nothing better

chips, fish and gravy - you need help, it`s just wrong!

Can't get chips and gravy where my mom and sister live ( Middlesex ) Mind you they are a strange lot of people down south !!!!!!!!!!

Plenty of strange people in South Yorkshire. If it wasn't for Yorkshire there wouldn't be a Jeremy Kyle Show