Fish & chips with gravy!!

Think its just a general northern thing, as they do it in Gateshead and Newcastle too. Up there we also have soggy sandwhiches with gravy in, not sure if thats availbale down here though.

I recall going to Sunderland vs Owls early 1970s (it might have been the year Sunderland won the FA Cup), biting into a pie I'd bought near the ground.....and it was just gravy! It poured out onto my flares (and into my turn ups, obvs).

Back them, guacamole was somewhere posh folk went on their hols.

With the appointment of St Paolo of Lazio to the Stadium of Light, perhaps the cuisine will improve...

So Geordies/Mackems are partial to a gravy sandwich, hmmm!!!

So Geordies/Mackems are partial to a gravy sandwich, hmmm!!!

Yeah, they were Mackems. I could have coped with something advertised as a gravy sandwich; but not when it was masquerading as a steak & onion pie.

Haha, geordies are for deffinite, I for one cannot talk for the unwashed down the A19! Soggy sandwhiches whilst have an awfull name are so good! Steak in a warm baguette with gravy poured in!

I also doubt anything in the Stadium of Light will improve anytime soon, fingers crossed!

I've heard the stereotype but do they really not have mushy peas, curry or gravy on chips in London chip shops? My GF just moved down there. Wat do?

I'm not a native of Sheffield so please excuse me if I'm not used to the local customs.

Yesterday lunchtime I popped into a "chippy". They had just cooked a batch of mini fish so I ordered one with a small chips.

The girl behind the counter says "Do you want gravy on that luv?"

"Gravy??????????"

"Yes." she says, "The mini fish deal comes with gravy or curry sauce" .

Fortunately I was allowed to leave without either. Do folks seriously have gravy on fish? What next; custard on the meat & potato pies?

Ask the gravy face blades what they think as they lurv there gravy ! :hihi:

Bulk bought rehydrated gravy powder, warmed and poured over a heavily battered piece of (usually unfresh) fish, alongside a pile of overcooked soggy chips and weird luminous green slop, is food that that deserves to grace nothing more than a feeding trough!

I'm not a native of Sheffield so please excuse me if I'm not used to the local customs.

Yesterday lunchtime I popped into a "chippy". They had just cooked a batch of mini fish so I ordered one with a small chips.

The girl behind the counter says "Do you want gravy on that luv?"

"Gravy??????????"

"Yes." she says, "The mini fish deal comes with gravy or curry sauce" .

Fortunately I was allowed to leave without either. Do folks seriously have gravy on fish? What next; custard on the meat & potato pies?

When I lived in Oz I asked if they had mushy peas to go with my fish and chips. The girl serving me was totally astonished that I would want such a weird combination. Some people have no idea !!:roll:

Mucky Mucky Mucky, Chips should be served with hendersons, crusty bread and Lurpak x

When I lived in Oz I asked if they had mushy peas to go with my fish and chips. The girl serving me was totally astonished that I would want such a weird combination. Some people have no idea !!:roll:

Dipping buttery toast into a cup of tea is lovely ! :)

sorry they serve chip with gravy in most of the places i have visited over the years

never had chip though in eastwood must admit

been to southend where they serve chip with gravy

seems peculiar to you