Fish & chips with gravy!!

I'm not a native of Sheffield so please excuse me if I'm not used to the local customs.

Yesterday lunchtime I popped into a "chippy". They had just cooked a batch of mini fish so I ordered one with a small chips.

The girl behind the counter says "Do you want gravy on that luv?"

"Gravy??????????"

"Yes." she says, "The mini fish deal comes with gravy or curry sauce" .

Fortunately I was allowed to leave without either. Do folks seriously have gravy on fish? What next; custard on the meat & potato pies?

maybe gravy on the chips we do

Oh my goodness my brother loves gravy on his fish & chips

Chips and gravy .... yes. but never on fish.

Fish and chips with gravy is the best thing in the world. Perhaps you're just mardy bum. The thought of it makes me giddy (any other sheffield'isms I can fit here??)

gravy on chips but not on fish - yuk! I don't like batter so I always peel it off.

can't think of anything worst fish chips and peas with bread and butter and a steaming mug of yorkshire tea is the way forward

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Who eats proper gravy these days-its all made from granules.I suppose the people who microwave yorks puds will eat gravy.

Who eats proper gravy these days-its all made from granules.I suppose the people who microwave yorks puds will eat gravy.

Perhaps you just need to dine at better restaurants.

I'm not a native of Sheffield so please excuse me if I'm not used to the local customs.

Yesterday lunchtime I popped into a "chippy". They had just cooked a batch of mini fish so I ordered one with a small chips.

"Gravy??????????"

Fortunately I was allowed to leave without either. Do folks seriously have gravy on fish? What next; custard on the meat & potato pies?

tHEY DO SOME HAVE SALAD CREAM OR MAYO ON THEM TOO NASTY

"Gravy??????????"

The gravy is supposed to just go on the chips, that happens in every town and city in this country on this planet, P.S, I have ordered Cod or Haddock from a chippy but never a mini fish, do they come in a short skirt.:loopy: