The new wind turbines, to the East of Sheffield.

Consequence from some of the pollution from Wind Power,

The report then goes on to claim; ‘People too began to suffer. Dalahai villagers say their teeth began to fall out, their hair turned white at unusually young ages, and they suffered from severe skin and respiratory diseases. Children were born with soft bones and cancer rates rocketed.’ 4

Extracting neodymium involves pumping acid down boreholes to dissolve and retrieve the minerals, then other acids, chemicals and high heat are used to further process the material, which in turn creates toxic waste which is dumped in large lakes of toxic sludge. The dumping of the toxic materials in this manner has resulted in seepage into the surrounding fields and water supplies and noxious air emissions have killed trees, crops, cattle, polluted lakes and streams, and given local people respiratory and intestinal problems, osteoporosis and cancer.

http://fifewindfarms.org.uk/toxic-impacts-from-wind-turbines/

Hiya Retep.

Couple of questions for you.

Is all the neodymium mined as described in that article from an anti-windfarm website used for wind turbines or does it have other uses? If so, what percentage is used for wind turbines?

Secondly, is the pollution described avoidable? Could the methods of extraction be improved in order to reduce the effect on the local population? If so, whose responsibility would that be - the neodymium mining company or the companies who use their product?

Taking that last one a little further, to deepen our thinking a little, do you think the same methods would be used if the neodymium was being mined in Shropshire?

There will always be wind somewhere and when you have a network around the country you could be guaranteed electricity via the grid.

It is also possible to store the unused capacity by creating Hydrogen which can be stored and could then be use for vehicles.

Yep I know there's a network...you can't guarantee enough electricity though..say for example you needed 10Gw as a base line supply (about 25% of the UK's demand) how many turbines would you need to ensure this amount of electicity is available all the time..? By using renewables (apart from maybe tidal) you'll always need a fossil or nuclear "backbone" to provide power when the sun doesn' shine or the wind doesn't blow...as for hydrogen would there ever be any unused renewable elccy to produce it?

Edited by truman

who said anything was science? I think someone has a crush on me, shame your not my type.

---------- Post added 08-04-2013 at 20:38 ----------

but is that not the same for nuclear?

Er, no. Toxic Fuel needs to be supplied for them to operate and as they have a limited lifespan and then there is great expense in de-commissioning them and making the toxic waste safe. Far better to have smaller local generated power that is spread out than a few gigantic power stations.

you`ll never be producing enough windmills to bring the cost down to make them viable cheaper

Yes you will, the same also goes for solar and its already happening in Germany.

---------- Post added 09-04-2013 at 12:34 ----------

Yep I know there's a network...you can't guarantee enough electricity though..say for example you needed 10Gw as a base lane supply (about 25% of the UK's demand) how many turbines would you need to ensure this amount of electicity is available all the time..? By using renewables (apart from maybe tidal) you'll always need a fossil or nuclear "backbone" to provide power when the sun doesn' shine or the wind doesn't blow...as for hydrogen would there ever be any unused renewable elccy to produce it?

Cant help with the first bit except to say that a backbone will still be needed for some time especially as we import a lot of our energy ATM.

As far as renewable electric being used for Hydrogen generation there is already spare capacity. In Scotland banks of wind turbines are regularly turned off because they produce electric when there is no demand and not needed. What is needed is some foresight to use that spare to produce Hydrogen which can be stored and then be used to generate electricity again. That spare can be then be used by vehicle and used for power stations.

Edited by Dromedary

Hiya Retep.

Couple of questions for you.

Is all the neodymium mined as described in that article from an anti-windfarm website used for wind turbines or does it have other uses? If so, what percentage is used for wind turbines?

Secondly, is the pollution described avoidable? Could the methods of extraction be improved in order to reduce the effect on the local population? If so, whose responsibility would that be - the neodymium mining company or the companies who use their product?

Taking that last one a little further, to deepen our thinking a little, do you think the same methods would be used if the neodymium was being mined in Shropshire?

Use google or aren't you capable.

Is all the neodymium mined as described in that article from an anti-windfarm website used for wind turbines or does it have other uses? .....

It's used wherever small strong magnets are required, for example electric cars and computer hard disk drives.

Cheers for that. :thumbsup:

I was going to take her today but we settled for the park instead. Will probably head out next weekend.

its definately worth a drive up there :)

I pass them every day, they are amazing close up...they are quite beautiful in their own way, and when the blades are going quite mesmerizing to watch

I love them .... :loopy:

do take your daughter she will be amazed to be so close and may even see them being put together and see the blades being lifted on

My partner also builds these lovely structures so......

long live the turbines :)

Use google or aren't you capable.

Yup, as expected; as usual, you know next to nothing about what you're talking about and are unable to deal with any further questioning regarding your stance.

Chalk it up.

Yup, as expected; as usual, you know next to nothing about what you're talking about and are unable to deal with any further questioning regarding your stance.

Chalk it up.

I know it's the same as you, an irritant. jog on fly.

I know it's the same as you, an irritant. jog on fly.

Hmm. Somebody else used that term very recently when I exposed the nonsense in one of his random postulations.

No matter.

So, you consider me an irritant. Why's that? Surely, if you are going to post evidence for one side of an argument, you expect that people will come along and question that evidence, no?

I didn't even offer an opinion, just asked you for more detail so we could all understand, fully, the evidence you were providing in order to decide whether or not we agreed with your position. Sadly, though, just like last time I did a teensy bit of probing you fell apart and started with the abuse. I'd hope you were aware of how that looks to other readers of your posts but, given your performances so far I'm not actually sure you are.

So, keep it up...

It'd imagine it's up near ulley reservoir, up penny hill lane

---------- Post added 06-04-2013 at 22:54 ----------

Yeah that's the one at B&Q distribution centre heading towards Manton Wood Industrial Estate, that is a beast!

The huge turbine at the B&Q distribution centre terrifies me, I have to put the sun visor down whenever i drive past so I can't see the big swishy arms! (going cold just talking about it)

The huge turbine at the B&Q distribution centre terrifies me, I have to put the sun visor down whenever i drive past so I can't see the big swishy arms! (going cold just talking about it)

I wonder how many accidents there have been caused by the distraction of looking at it. Same goes for the new ones near the M18.

Hmm. Somebody else used that term very recently when I exposed the nonsense in one of his random postulations.

No matter.

So, you consider me an irritant. Why's that? Surely, if you are going to post evidence for one side of an argument, you expect that people will come along and question that evidence, no?

I didn't even offer an opinion, just asked you for more detail so we could all understand, fully, the evidence you were providing in order to decide whether or not we agreed with your position. Sadly, though, just like last time I did a teensy bit of probing you fell apart and started with the abuse. I'd hope you were aware of how that looks to other readers of your posts but, given your performances so far I'm not actually sure you are.

So, keep it up...

The other person who posted the term probably thought the same as me you're a pest with issues, any information you require is freely available on google.

I have never fell apart with anything you have posted.

as for the abuse it all seems to be coming from you,

"Yup, as expected; as usual, you know next to nothing about what you're talking about and are unable to deal with any further questioning regarding your stance."

The link I gave also gives the information you require, now jog on.